When did hams start paying attention to gray-line propagation effects?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Apr 16, 2018 at 4:38 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK6APZ

VK6APZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave i have been working Grey Line DX ON 80 SSB for 25 years now and 160 SSB also but not as often .
    Stations like VK6HD and VK6LK worked 80 mtrs for over 40 years on the grey line working stations from all countries around the world.
    They were there every day checking prorogation long path and short path.
    These operators are now SK as are many from around the world.
    You had to be a die hard to do this especially getting up before sunrise all year round can be a challenge, on sunset its no problem.
    Most low band Dxers go clear in there summer because the noise level on SSB is a big problem, i am around all year because if you are not
    you miss out on rare DX station that sometimes appears.
    Working long path on 80 into the East Coast is a challenge but i have worked many over the years on the grey line which normally
    peaks after the sun has been up 10 to 30 minutes, its absolutely amazing to me even after 25 years.
    There are Stations like K1FZ , VE2ENM ,N2RK ,K1ZM, W1XX, N1CQ ,W6ANR,W6UC,HP3AK, the list goes on and on.
    I got my licence in 1986 and had to upgrade to be able to work the low bands, i kept a computer log from 1993 till today and the main reason
    was to see if there was some pastern on what was happening and also what the DX was like over the years.
    It really has not helped me as every year prorogation is different, one day the dx is 5/9+ and the next day 4/4 etc.
    So Dave Hams have been doing it for a long time on the low bands , i would say some over 50 years.
    The guys your side would be able to put more light on the subject as i am only the new pup on the block.

Cheers 73 VK6APZ

2. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

The phenomenon was known about long before the term "grey line" was coined. I studied for my radio amateurs exam in 1961/62 and we were told about "sunrise and sunset enhancements" during that course. We were told that the phenomenon was especially good on the low bands but could be experienced on the high bands, 15 and 10 in those days (no WARC).

I looked through my collection of books and there was a section on grey line propagation in the RSGB Radio Communication Handbook, 6th edition page 11.26, this is the earliest mention of that name in my collection.

3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I am trying to locate a text about WW II propagation and communications schedules referencing "best times" for certain stations on HF that I think are concurrent with local greyline. It was written in 1948 and updated in 1962.

4. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 60s, we all seemed to pay attention to it daily. I had a large grayline wall clock.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny you should mention this. Likewise, there was no mention of X and O propagation modes in any ARRL publications before I published "Gimme an X, Gimme an O...." in 2010. Well, there was ONE other article....published in 1940.....70 years before mine!

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NOV 1992 - QST (PG. 80)

Introduction to Gray-Line DXing, An

First QST mention of the topic.

7. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I will not let this affect my likelihood of joining the ARRL.

8. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recall the Gordon West series of books from Radio Shack discussing it at length back in the early 90s. Presumably that means there were questions about it in at least one of the question pools. I've been paying attention to gray-line since then.

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

W0IS, WZ7U, KA2CZU and 2 others like this.