When can we work North Korea?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB9BVN, Jun 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Gesundheit!

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, finally forgive (as hard as that might be,) but eternally remember, (remember the Alamo? Pearl Harbor?) and be cautious and ever vigilant . There is a saying:" keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer." With luck, an enemy may well (in due time) become a friend. THAT can only be good, if finally done in good faith on BOTH sides.

3. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering that radio receivers available in NK are supposedly able to only receive state broadcast stations and the country's history, the likelyhood of any native North Korean to become an amateur radio operator any time soon is slim to none with the possible exception of trusted government employees.

WQ2H and KD9KSO like this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am currently HL1ZIX, in Korea.

I can listen to North Korean English broadcasting after lunch, some days. It's hilarious. Last week they had a news story about how the Japanese government had produced poor quality mosquito nets, which caused their citizens to suffer from terrible bites.

They have no love for Japan.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. N0JI

N0JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you can see how increased spending opportunities mean harder work for everyone, and more of it, too!

Why would you want to work a NK ham? The only legal topic of conversation would be praising their generated, veneered leader....

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Veneered? That's gotta hurt!

KA4DPO and AD5HR like this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Some other things need to happen before the NKs can get on the air. First they need food, clean water, medical care, and some basic infrastructure (like water, power, etc.)

10y from now, you might find some occasional P5 contacts from hams who are native to that country, and not just the super-rich aristocrats.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably never worked S├śNY.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For myself, I want the free mule I've been dreaming of :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  10. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. Most of those poor folks don't even have food. Radios might be pushing it.....