When are the good openings coming back...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I talk to Asia all day. I also talk to trees, rocks and the Easter Bunny

W4ZD likes this.
  2. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like there were opening in the early 90s. You could talk on 10 meters 24/7

3. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to talk with Asia every day as well. But then she quit her job. :cool:

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You, sir, need psychiatric treatment. Not NOW, but years ago...:eek::rolleyes: All I have left is Santa Claus!:p (Or was that 'Sandy Clothes??'):D:rolleyes:

5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What a wonderful little workhorse the TT Century 22 is. The Century 21, too. A smart, but minimalist, design that is just about perfect for the CW operator.

Why can't someone make a rig like that now? I would buy five of them. I would prefer 100w though.

F8WBD likes this.
  6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You VHF/UHF guys impress me. A contact that is hum-drum on 40 or 20 meters can be very impressive in the VHF/UHF range. It's not that you made a contact by radio with another station a particular distance away. It's that you did it using a band, mode or method that required work, learning, understanding of unique propagation characteristics, and as often as not using a lot of home build gear requiring construction techniques that are a world apart from HF. I am usually more impressed by what it took to make the contact than the contact itself. Good job!

WZ7U, WA9SVD and NL7W like this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio is such a rush! There are so many ways to do so many different things. You never run out of new things to try. Good Job!

NL7W likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's FUNNY! (I think.:confused:) I "bother" ( and get excited) with terrestrial contacts, AND extra-terrestrial (aka moon bounce at this time) contacts as well. As far as I know, the two are not mutually exclusive, are they:confused:? o_OOr have I not been told?:rolleyes:

9. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

my QSL cards from '92 to '93 tell me those were some good times.

But as for now. there are two options: Run 1000 watts or have a wire that is 100' up in the air

Some Goober might come along and tell you he works all continents everyday on ½ watt feeding into some rusty bed springs in his backyard. Just wish him a good evening

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

On behalf of us “goobers” who run low power and poor antennas yet manage to work over 200 countries during this SS minimum by casual operation in our limited spare time, “good evening”.

WW2PT likes this.