When are the good openings coming back...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya just NEVER know !!

Today (10/30/2019) on 14025 CW @ 1906z I nabbed OX7AM...
    Then... on 10116 CW @ 2059z I had a short chat with "MOZ" VK3CWB !!
    ( I also worked J68GD, & KP2/WW3S)

I'm very proud of my little Ten-Tec Century 22 (25w output), 40m OCF dipole up 20ft & using a LDG AT-11MP tuner. :D

Ya Just Never Know....

WB5YUZ, F8WBD, NL7W and 4 others like this.
  2. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fair question. I don't know how to describe it. 6m is just an interesting band, has some curious behaviours. I guess it's the HO gauge of ham radio, after a fashion. I have a lot of fun with it. You might if you try it. You might not. Have you ever? Great thing about amateur radio, there's something for everyone.

I didn't take it that way. It's technically VHF but just barely.

Not a fair comparison, really. The propagation characteristics of both bands are so completely different. The lower bands are fairly predictable, really. 6m is often referred to as the "magic band". One minute it's wide open, and gone the next. It behaves a lot like 10m, and is dependent on E layer skip much of the time, although F2 is possible when the sun is playing along. In some respects, me getting Oregon on 6m is analogous to getting South Africa on 75m. I've never done either one. Most of my contacts have been US and Canada, but I do have one to Grand Cayman and one to Italy. Those were especially cool. Today's brief opening was interesting because it's early in the winter Es season. 6m tends to be a little more relaxed and laid-back, a little less 59 73 whamo-bamo.

Part of the fun, you can get comparatively a lot more antenna in the air than you can on lower bands for precisely why you said. I have a 4el loop fed yagi at 40' for 6m. The 40m equivalent of that not going to happen for me for a number of reasons.

K8BZ likes this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So do I. My "neighbor" W4HLR ~150 miles to my west has WAS twice and needs about 4 entities for DXCC. Anyone on 6M knows Howard. I told him once that I didn't know whether he was on because the band was open or if the band was open because he was on. :D

K8BZ likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a good 10-meter opening the other day. You just have to pay attention to the band/watch a spotting network. ;)

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But was it to Asia for 3 hours?

6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been licensed almost 62 years and in that time have seen more than a couple of sunspot cycles. No it is not, currently, like it was in the mid 1970's where in one weekend I worked DXCC on 10 meters with my 100 watt mobile into a Hustler antenna from my car sitting in the driveway of our house in Southern California. A much more casual operator these days but over the past couple of weeks, running 100 watts into a vertical, there has not been a day where I haven't worked some DX. This afternoon on 17 meters I worked VP6R and HC5DX both on the first call--this time from Central Oregon.

In all my years as a ham and DX chaser I have never found a time (except following a major solar storm) when there was not some DX to be worked on some band on some mode (though I only work SSB and CW). The FT8 fans, of which I am not nor will I ever be one, seem to be achieving DXCC faster than I did on that weekend from my mobile. I may not live long enough for the next cycle peak (and who knows at this point how good/bad that will be)..but if I do I'll be in the pileups with a much lesser station than I used to have. But I bet I will get through those pileups and work the DX.

K8BZ likes this.
  7. N3VEZ

N3VEZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I completed a QSO with him today. EFHW forty feet high 50 Watts. Good weather. Also using FT8. I get good DX every day from Delaware with FT8.

8. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. Its like contacting someone in Canada. Most Canadians live 10 feet from our border. (Sorry, 3 meters.)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah. Those green specks are just a touch of Soylent. (Make room!)

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was quite excited to work Maine for my 10th state on 10GHz. I was even more excited when I worked West Virginia for my first 400 mile 10 GHz contact. It took many hours to build my 3 watt homebrew transverter and dish feed.

Zack W1VT

K8BZ likes this.