When are the good openings coming back...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

For some, it provides more than enough reason and it's not a requirement that they convince others why they have fun working DX on VHF/UHF bands. It only matters that they enjoy it.

WW2PT likes this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, it seems too many just want to sit back and have others do the work.

Learn how to call CQ.

Learn how to use CW.

Learn how to really be an amateur radio operator instead of a cipher.

Learn how to install an effective antenna or move to where you can enjoy radio life.

Learn that if you made the choice where to live then stop complaining.

Carl
    Ham since 1955

WB5YUZ, WA9SVD, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with that. It's 6 through 15 meters that are really affected by no and/or sunspot numbers. 17 and 20 some. But 30 through 80 meters are at their best. 160 meters less so due to energetic cosmic rays from outside our solar system.

I don't expect solar cycle 25 to be as good as solar cycle 24 and solar cycle 24 was pretty grim.

NL7W likes this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, it's a biggie.

5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just tested some new wiring for my radio to computer interface for PSK31 and got into 2 different monitors on PSK Reporter about 800 miles from my house on 20 meters on what sounded like a totally dead band. There will be sporadic openings even on "dead" days and this was with the power turned down to 10 watts. If I can do that, CW at 100 watts would have made that same path and then some.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10 and 15 were both open to Pitcairn Is. yesterday. 15 is open right now to someplace. I'm using FT8, so there's more to hear.
    I know people that do almost exclusively 6M. One of them has nearly achieved WAS in the last year, using FT8. It can be really interesting to call CQ on a dead band, either 6 or 10 meters, and get a response from out of nowhere. Trans-equatorial skip is alive and well, even if F layer or multihop E is not.

The challenge is in doing things most people would not think possible, like doing WAS on 6 meters at the bottom of a sunspot cycle. Again, it's a matter of choice. After a while, you've worked all the Europeans on the lower bands, so using 6 meters becomes a new challenge.

Now, Two Meters is another bag of fish. One local has WAS twice over on 2 and 222. Of course, he does moonbounce, but from our location, we are within meteor scatter and aurora range of the entire lower 48 states. Meteor scatter is about the most fun you can have doing weak signals on 10, 6, or 2. Random meteors make contacts possible anytime, and there are websites (pingjockey.net) where you can set up skeds. 100 watts and a decent yagi will suffice. I know another guy who does meteors and aurora with an antenna in his garage. He's also worked a 'megastation' via the moon.

So, it's all up to what you consider a challenge. While I get excited when I see EU callsigns on HF, from here, that's like shooting fish in a barrel. If I want to ragchew with an EU station, I'll do it on Dstar or Echolink.

N0TZU and NL7W like this.
  7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Different set of challenges that appeal to different types of people. Your question is no different than this one:

“You can bounce a 435 MHz signal off the moon. I don’t think I could get excited by a contact limited to ionospheric propagation. So why does anyone bother with HF with all its weird propagation headaches?”

The only answer that matters: “Just because.” :cool:

8. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

My most enjoyable contacts were more about the conversation than the distance or mode.
    One night on 40 meter PSK31 I got a hold of a tugboat in the Gulf of Mexico. We both agreed sailboat in the Chesapeake to tug in the Gulf on 40 meter PSK31 was probably the first one ever done. Maybe the last one too, FT8 does not appear to have a check box for "I am on a tugboat" :rolleyes:

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

IF only it were that simple. But sometimes "significant others," children, schools, and closeness to actual shopping (remember, groceries are not the only thing) and other things override amateur desires. (NEEDS, not amateur wants, dreams, or desires.) YMMV.

N2EY likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Give it 4 or 5 years to happen on a frequent basis on 10m.