ad: hrd-2

When are the good openings coming back...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then sit quietly at the kid's table while the grown-ups are talking. (And, no matter what, don't pull Uncle Rocco's finger.)

N2EY, WZ7U and NL7W like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:p

3. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm practicing for Thanksgiving.

NL7W likes this.
  4. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday I got a contact using FT8 with Mauritania (5T5PA ), Africa from South Texas. Unfortunately in the middle started a heavy rain and I lost the contact. I was using a IC-7300 at 100w and my Chamaleon Emcom Cha II wire antenna over my roof (let's say about 25 feet from the ground, feed-point in the south wire heading to the north), band 20m at dusk here. Not bad, not bad....

5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was listening to 40 meters this morning from my QTH in northern Georgia, about 10:00 am. I heard hams from all over the eastern USA: Michigan, Ohio, Connecticut, South Carolina, even Texas. That's not bad for 40 during the daytime. There is no doubt it is harder now than in years past, but it is possible.

Think I'll take a listen to 40 tonight. For DX, 40 is definitely a nighttime band.

W5TTW likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You "kids" have a better chance than I do.

W5TTW likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, that Funk&Wagnells died the day Johnny retired.:( Those (Steve Allen, Jack Parr) that preceded him were good, but were not nearly as great. Those that succeeded him were but a shadow of the "Great Carsoni.:("

Green "specks?"
    Are we alluding to an early Michael Crichton book (and later movie) here?:confused::confused::confused::D

K9ASE likes this.
  8. VE3CEN

VE3CEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you help me understand how this is exciting at all?
    I am not trying to give guff, I genuinely do not understand this higher-end HF stuff.
    I don't think I can imagine being excited by a contact from within the contiguous USA to another state. You can get to Europe with very little effort almost all the time on either 20 or 40, so I don't really "get" the point of 6M etc.
    If you could shine some light on this, I would be appreciative.

To me, the only neat thing about these frequencies is that the antennas can get smaller, so you can make cooler antennas in a given footprint. But it seems like a deliberate handicap over favouring longer-legged frequencies.

*Caveat: this post comes from a child of the 24th solar cycle*

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Some prefer vanilla and some chocolate. Be happy to have a choice.

10. VE3CEN

VE3CEN Ham Member QRZ Page

That doesn't really provide any reason for enjoyment though.
    There are a lot of unpleasant flavours in the world; the fact that they exist is not a bona fide "good".

I know there are cool, fun, exciting things about 6M and up, but I do not know what they are. Hence my question.