ad: SteppIR-1

When all else fails... Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Note to self - self, petition to have the color of the spellchecker changed into an earsplitting screech of monkeys to get the attention of the less than educated folks partaking in a technical hobby where words mean things :rolleyes:

KI6IPO, N2EY and KU4X like this.
  2. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Like others have told you already, with VHF (Omni directional) for local and 75 meters for Statewide and regional.

3. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice. The problem with everyone having a fixed position antenna pointed toward Headquarters is when Headquarters goes down.
    I always like a backup option.

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

It's one thing to misspell words on occasion, whether by ignorance or by accident or inattention, but you would think that something as significant as the name of the activity/service/hobby (amateur radio) in which one devotes substantial time and attention to participate, one would at least know how to spell it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    WU8Y, N2EY, K1OIK and 2 others like this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Lol, that was a reach. Are you triggered?

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. There are about a half-dozen other major threads going right now where I wish I could convince people that words mean things.

Speaking of triggered, that cat in your avatar looks like he's off his meds. ;)

WZ7U likes this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Click link below and scroll down to:
    http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...records-tell-story-chaos-confusion/548412001/

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Fluffy is full grown now and she has calmed down a lot. She's a sweet kitty. Look:

fluffy.jpg

N3AB likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I should know better than to log on to the forums after 10PM... ;)

KJ4VTH likes this.
  10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I routinely work stations down around Sioux Falls(~100 miles+) over the top of Buffalo Ridge which is 400 feet higher than I am. So yes it can work over mountains(or through passes) and people do it all the time. Sure I am lucky, I live on the prairie on a high spot where everything but Buffalo Ridge slopes away from me, but my day in day out working range is also 300+ miles! Heck I use a 10 watt beacon in EN53 as a band indicator and it transmits to a pair of omni loops, band conditions are down, so today the beacon is just out of the noise floor, neutral it is S2-3, good anything above S4. That beacon is 350 miles from me!