When all else fails... Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

As I found out throughout my life, action talks and bulls#it walks. When the chips are down, the big belly, mamby-pamby, the lead a$$, the big talker, the majority of orange vest wearers will be long gone. The ones with guts and determination will be here to do their best.

2. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

And the Yagis will have oxen constantly rotating them while scanning for emergency calls..uhuh

N5PAR likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A "circuit" is often setup for point to point communications - not for scanning for emergency calls.

4. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

So one city can talk to one city in an emergency..pretty much worthless.

5. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK...point to point comms are "worthless"? What experience do you have with communications? Emergency communications isn't solely scanning the air for emergencies...

But do tell us how it should be done! :D

WU8Y likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually...not.

Back during the height of the cold war when people had fallout shelters and Geiger counters and stuff :eek: (which is when I was growing up in the sixties), we had RACES as an active part of Civil Defense and Disaster Control going on almost everywhere. I was in NJ back then, and our CD/RACES group had "links" which really were point to point from our town to County HQ (VHF stuff, County seat was only ten miles away) and to State HQ (Trenton, about 70 miles away, and we did that on VHF and on 75m). "State" had a link to "Fed" in D.C., using 75m or 40m SSB (Trenton to D.C. is only about 150 miles or something, so no DX band or propagation needed).

Everyone was trained to "handle traffic," via weekly training and drills and most were very good at it; never needed to slow down, ask for a repeat, etc. We used phone and RTTY primarily, and I was a fast typist (old RTTY stuff could only do 120 wpm at best anyway, and I could type faster than that) so was usually the primary RTTY operator.

If anything wasn't copied clearly on "phone," the response would be "say again after Main Street?" and that's all anyone had to say. No reason to say more than that, and the reply would be only the text that occurred after "Main Street." We got used to speaking very quickly and using headphones to help assure solid copy of anything said. Articulating clearly, we almost never used phonetics, they just weren't necessary unless spelling something very unusual.

Of course, that was then and this is now.:p

But "it's possible" to be a very effective "emergency traffic handler," if you drill for it every week. If not, probably not.

N2EY, N5PAR and KK5JY like this.
  7. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course amature radio communications are not going to be as perfectly executed as a fire department etc. that deals with real emergencies everyday.

That doesnt change the fact that amature radio is available and very helpful in emergencies (sometimes being the only form of communications available at the time). Dont forget that there prob are plenty of ham comms taking place during emergencies that the media hasnt even had a chance to find out about.

And we should always try to prepair are personal stations and local repeaters for power outages, emergencies, shtf etc. no matter what. Things may not be perfect, and u dont need to be a super prepaired survivalist/prepper sort with a dialed in e comms box (its my intention to have one one day), but u can put a big battery aside, a solar panel, a generator and some gas, or whatever you can afford and just try to do something to be prepaired for future emergencies.
    ...because they can and will happen, and we should be prepaired as best as we can.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

AMATEUR not Amature. Mostly misspells are misspells, but the name of the freaking service? The QRZ spell checker even catches it.

K1OIK likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never understood all the spelling mistakes in the forums. :rolleyes:

K1OIK, N5PAR, KY5U and 1 other person like this.
  10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Misspellings, not misspells.

K1OIK and KU4X like this.