ad: cq2k-1

When a tuner is needed.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2ICC, Oct 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K2ICC

K2ICC Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my SWR's measured and the highest is 1.5. Will the SWR increase dramatically when an amp is used?

Most bands from 80-10 are 1.1.

Highest are 1.3 and 1.4 .

6 meters is the highest at 1.6 to 1.8 where repeater frequency is located at.
    This is a wire antenna.

2. KE0NSK

KE0NSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If your vswr changes after the amplifier, it is usually because you are splattering and transmitting on other frequencies.

W0FS likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of wire antenna?

More power should not increase the SWR... unless you start melting stuff.

W0FS likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

How many SWRs do you need?

VE4CY, WS9K, N6ALT and 4 others like this.
  5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The SWR measured between your Amp and Antenna should not change if your antenna system is capable of handling the power level.

The SWR measured between your transmitter and Amp may in fact change when the amp is in use. You may notice on some bands (probably most likely 17 meters, if your amp using the same band setting for 15 and 17 meters like mine does) that your transmitter may detect a high SWR and automatically reduce power accordingly. If your amp has a single band switch setting for 17 and 15 meters, the tuned input circuit has a compromise setting for both bands. Your rigs internal tuner may be needed to compensate for this mismatch between the rig and amp and should be able to handle it easily. If you switch your amp off line the mismatch caused by the amp as measured between your transmitter and amp should go away.

N5OT and W0FS like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I realize that folks adding an "s" to SWR tend to sound like the CB crowd but in reality, "Standing Wave Ratio" is in fact a noun. The rules for the English language call for a plural noun to take an "s" (with notable exceptions like deer, salmon, etc. etc.)

By way of example, if you look at three ham and cheese sandwiches, all made with different amounts of ham slices and cheese slices, you could compare the HCRs (Ham Cheese Ratios) as 1:1, 1:3, 1:5 etc.

If you test a "Standing Wave Ratio" at three different frequencies, you are indeed creating a table of "SWRs" - "Standing Wave Ratios" of 1.1:1, 1.8:1 and 2.0:1

I get the point but in English, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making SWR take a plural by adding an "s"

But NEVER an apostrophe (SWR's, HCR's)

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

WW0W, KC1DR, K4AGO and 8 others like this.
  7. KE0NSK

KE0NSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on how you look at it. There is only 1 swr ratio. There are many frequencies at which it can be measured, but there is only one swr. 10-4?

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Solid state output sections tend to have trouble with SWRs over about 1.5:1.
    Tube output sections can usually deal with a SWR of 2.5:1 or a bit more.

If you can't adjust your antenna or want to use it out of its optimal range, a tuner becomes handy. On the other hand, if your radio doesn't fold back power or otherwise doesn't seem to be having trouble, then you don't need a tuner.

W0FS likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not correct. By listing measured SWR at three frequencies, you are building a list of measurements - each is a "Standing Wave Ratio" and a table of 3 represents a plural of SWR and by English rules can rightly be expressed as "SWRs" - multiple ratios creating a plural.

SWR is a noun. Nouns take a plural with an s.

It's simple English.

Again, I get the "CB lingo" reference - but there's nothing in the English language that says that one single noun (SWR) can never take a plural with an s

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO, WA8FOZ and N2EY like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll take a dozen, if there's a discount.

K4AGO likes this.