whats your

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by VA7AAX, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a "youth", so forgive me for posting in your forum. It is hard to say precisely what speed I operate in CW. I routinely have ragchew QSO's where I send around 25-30 WPM, but I copy faster speeds. I have had ragchews where the other op was sending at 35 WPM easily, and I certainly miss some words, but I can keep the QSO conversational. I wouldn't want to try ragchewing with someone going faster than that.

I often set my computer practice at up to 50 WPM, and I can copy some random words and callsigns. So, I would say I can reliably copy callsigns and exchanges for contests at between 40-50 WPM. Sometimes that requires listening to the other guy send his call a few times to be sure I have it right.

2. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

PARIS. Actually over here in Europe, we usually use CpM (Characters per Minute) rather than WpM; 5 CpM = 1 WpM. That makes the figures sound even higher, 200WpM is 1000CpM.

If you can't believe it, have a look at the RufzXP international toplist: http://www.rufzxp.net/toplist.htm

My current highscore was made with a maximum speed of 745 CpM = 149 WPM, and my overall topspeed (at the bottom of the page, in any attempt) is 1000 CpM = 200WpM. My good friend Goran, YT7AW tops it off with 1093 CpM = 219 WpM ;-)

Copying these speeds is not magic, it's the simple result of many years of practice. With some short breaks, I have been practicing RUFZ (starting with the DOS version, now RufzXP) almost daily since 1999.

3. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I can only do 20WPM [​IMG]

And copy around 8
    So its kinda useless

4. WQ2N

WQ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

As fabian (DJ1YFK) said before that program really helps sending 30-35WPM before using it and can do higher and receiving is A LOT better from that program! around 45-50WPM nothing like he has.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Good Lord Man!

How did you get up that high?
    I know one guy, K0RU, who said he sends 75 WPM mobile daily.

6. W8LBO

W8LBO Ham Member QRZ Page

The one thing is, I never really got who you'd talk to at 70 or so WPM. It would definitely limit your number of QSOs. That's awesomely fast, though.

7. VA7AAX

VA7AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

i dont understand one thing. i am using farnsworth method(really common) . right now , i can copy characters that are sent at 12 WPM but the spacing between them is 6 WPM. so what is my speed? :rock:

8. KE5FIX

KE5FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be 6wpm.
    You might want to try the characters sent at a higher speed they might be easier to copy, but to each his own.

9. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have to see that to believe it. [​IMG]

10. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

K0RU states on his website that he uses the key up to 50 WpM and a keyboard for higher speed. I had some QSOs with him on 30m and 40m but not that fast. I also had QSOs with mobile stations in the 50 WpM-range, it's certainly possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.