ad: Mircules-1

What's your thoughts on an all bander for a mobile?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD0PEZ, Jul 12, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Where I live, on my drive to and from work, at least half of the people on the road with me are using their cellphones. IMO they're a lot more distracted than I am; I can turn on my TS-480 without taking my eyes off the road, tune up and down whatever band I'm on, work a few stations, all perfectly well--and I'm a lot less distracted than the people driving along looking down at the cellphone in my hand, dialing or texting. If the weather is bad and traffic is heavy I won't use the radio, but 95% of the time I don't feel any less safe. Just MHO.

AC9HO, W7GST and K6CLS like this.
  2. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been playing HF mobile since 1993.
    I use a TARHEEL II and TS-480HX.

I've never found a better, more satisfying mobile than the TS-480
    It's so well laid out, easy to use, has a great receiver...and 200 watts doesn't hurt anything.:)

The one I hated the most was the FT-857. It's a capable wonderful radio, but very hard to operate while mobile.
    that tiny display, combined with my older eyes, made for a lot of frustration
    I did work a lot of DX with it, including T32C on 10 and 12m

Bonding/grounding everything can help a lot
    I used to have a 93 ford ranger, and it need a lot, it was like ford was trying to isolate the sheet metal from ground LOL

Propagation can help a lot too.
    When the DX is +20db over, you'll be strong in his receive too.

I also prefer to have VHF/UHF separate.

When it comes to real DX, like K1N Navassa Is. I checked the spotter on my phone, set the freq, split, ect, and then started driving home

they were strong on 15m, and I got 'em:cool:

Lately, with poor propagation, I might reach for the stereo instead for the trip home o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

W7GST likes this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="AC4RD, post: 3685025, member: 160596] I can turn on my TS-480 without taking my eyes off the road, tune up and down whatever band I'm on, work a few stations, all perfectly well[/QUOTE]

right on, enjoy it. personally I think the 480 controls are perfect for that.
    but please be careful.

4. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't give up on mobile - it takes some patience and attention to detail to set up a good mobile HF station - I run bugcatchers for HF antennas which have to be tapped for the frequencies I want to talk on but the performance is unbeatable in a mobile application - My mobile station is my only station these days and I run an all band - all mode Icom IC-7100 with touch screen - Great performance in a small package. (Amazing receiver) Their are a ton of options for setting up portable antennas that you can hook up to your mobile station also - rotatable dipoles - tripod stands. 6M and 2M halo antennas. The results can be very rewarding.

Good Luck
    73 KD5AUU

W7GST likes this.
  5. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I

I ran a 480 HX for a couple of years - Great radio but I switched it out for a TS 2000 to play audio (more transmit bandwidth) now I'm running an IC-7100 and it beats the 480 hands down on receive - Nice setup on your mobile - check out my pics on QRZ - KD5AUU

6. AE7QT

AE7QT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Slight mod to my driving area, its just I-5 now, between Portland OR, and LA area. Have been spending lots of time on 40m, but still do call out on 146.520 a few times an hour. I'm looking at a little tarhill 2 antenna, not sure if, and when I'll get it, but seems like my next adventure awaits. 73 de ae7qt/m/24/7/340/year

7. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

get one with remot front like 706 put radio under seat or trunk take head out with you or put out of site ...

8. W7MOH

W7MOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess the answer depends on what you want out of mobile operation. I had my IC 706MKIIG feeding a Hustler vertical with screw on resonators on the roof of my Nissan Pathfinder. Checked into nets while on the road and had a ball working special events stations. Got the occasional DX and that was a bonus. An autotuner would have made operation easier but isn't critical. If I wanted to change bands I just pulled over, changed coils, retuned with the MFJ tuner and took off again. Getting out my allotted spectrum wasn't ever a problem, spin the dial until I heard a good signal without watching the dial and then take a quick glance to see what the freq was. Back in the late 80's early 90's I did a lot of mobile operation with a TS-120 on the seat of an El Camino. Got lots of DX on 10M back then. So I guess my answer is, if you just want to have fun hamming and aren't worried about whether it's DX or local, go mobile and have fun.

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

One alternative is to remote the head on the 857 so you can plop it on the dash, or get a really big LCD display and an Arduino Mega and make your own remote display / control panel.

10. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleting my post. Already covered in the thread.