What's your thoughts on an all bander for a mobile?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD0PEZ, Jul 12, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KE7AGK

KE7AGK Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a FT-817ND thinking I would do a lot more with it. Only 5 watts output, but have a lot of experience using an Icom M700 on board vessels. The 817 was supposed to be installed in a SUV of mine, but then I noticed that VHF and UHF were really all I was using mobile. A good deal on some surplus Motorola CDM1550's made me go that route.
    So what I actually use mobile now is a stack of CDM1550's in the off road rig, and stacked VX-3200 Vertex radios in my car. The HF rig is at home and monitoring digital modes.

Good luck with the Air Force, retired here.

2. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

hi ve3ddl I have a 706 in my truck and use an out back type of ant with automatic tuner on it you will get most contacts while moving on 20 m I try to get on 10m when its open to .

3. N0RIE

N0RIE Ham Member QRZ Page

hi
    DONT forget lots of GROUNDING i used it motocylce and a pickup just rember lots of good grounding i have used a 3/8 chain 21/2 feet long on frames
    the bike was a 2003 harley full dressed . the more ground the better that was don johnston told me n0rie......

4. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W0EOD

W0EOD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Old Marine here and thought id say Hi and recommend a TRX 392M Antenna, I'm running it on my jeep jk and once you take the time to learn the jumpers is a outstanding antenna.

6. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really sure what I feel on this particular issue, but one thing to consider is that all-banders are expensive and putting them in as a mobile makes them susceptible to theft.

7. W0GDS

W0GDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have worked my FT857 with ATAS-120 antenna extensively in Dallas County and across the nation when I travel.
    This could not be any better of a set-up for mobile operation. I have made MANY DX QSO's from my mobile so I
    would believe your issues may be more of the operator type. Tuning my ATAS-120 when on the road is not a hard
    task. Logging may be an issue but it gets done. My antenna mount on my 2000 Ford Explorer luggage rack and
    grounded to chassis has been exceptional. I get ZERO noise from the mount and have worked so many DX stations
    I keep the paper log near me in the vehicle. If there's a will, there's a way.

8. N0VGL

N0VGL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a like set up in my Wrangler as the OP. FT-857D with a Little Tarheel II and auto tuner. Worked my first DX with it last weekend with a special event station in Spain on 20 meters.

9. VA3QR

VA3QR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I ru. HF mobile from my '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L with a TS-480SAT barefoot and a Little Tarheel II with the 54" whip mounted to my tailgate, and tunes using a Tennatronix auto screwdriver tuner. First station I worked was the Canary Is., next was Spain, next was Italy. It can be done :)

VK2CCR likes this.
  10. AE7QT

AE7QT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

18 Wheel mobile. Screw drivers, yup. Hustlers, yup, long wires, yup. Random wires, yup. Ham stick, yup. Mag mount, yup. Holes drilled, yup. Mirror mount, yup. Tuner with short wire and alligator clip to attach to trailer for antenna, yup. Dipoles, yup. Tried just about most any type of antenna while mobile in motion, and parked.
    There are a few things that are true, you need a good ground for your RF, AND station ground, or you will have lots more noise than you want, plus your signal with not do as well. Plus, not one antenna is the magic cure for all cars/trucks/motor homes/jeeps/semis/etc. Get that antenna as high off the ground and top of the largest part of metal you can. If it's a 102" SS whip, put that thing on top your roof, and don't worry about chopping down trees or hitting bridges, it will handle anything you can whack with 70+ MPH! Try not to do the same with your $800 (million$) screw driver, results may vary from your $30 whip! ;( Screwdrivers are defiantly as close to a miracle antenna as you can get. Lots of brands out there, but one thing to remember with these, the bigger the better! and harder to mount! As for the radio, you need to figure out what brand you like, and how much you can spend with out getting disowned by your better half. I love ICOM's, own 2x 7100 and 1x 7000
    Please don't forget to monitor and CALL OUT on 146.520 FM 2M simplex.
    The very best from a guy who spends all day listening to and call out on 146.520 coast to coast.
    AE7QT/m

W7GST likes this.