ad: HamInsurance-1

What's your favorite mode?

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by KK4JW, Oct 29, 2020.

?

What's your favorite mode?

1. D-Star

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. DMR

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Fusion/WIRES

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. P25

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KK4JW

KK4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had to pick only one.. Which would it be?

2. KK4JW

KK4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

Those aren't options. Try again.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Folks please be mindful of what forum you are posting in.

Please READ THE TITLE of this new forum before responding about CW, RTTY, SSB, Hellscrhriber, FT8 or anything else that has absolutely nothing to do with the forum's purpose.

Try to be respectful of those who have pushed for months (years even) to have a sub-forum dedicated to the modes listed in the title of the forum.

Irrelevant/trolling posts have been removed - and continue to be removed. Anyone persisting on attacking folks in this forum or ridiculing them will find themselves unable to post in this thread.

Thank you

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO and PU2OZT like this.
  4. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I only have a Yaesu radio so it is Wires X for me. I am wondering what I may be missing on the other digital modes though?

5. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Dstar and a hotspot and find the multiple digi modes and more specifically cross mode working a complete puzzle.

Aside from audio quality I THINK the features available are pretty similar for digi modes. That said I am not using more that digital voice and there is as we both know there is way more...

KJ7OMD likes this.
  6. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd vote for FreeDV because it is open source but actualy I didn't try it yet so I cannon vote in absentia. Amateur radio is open source by its nature. Why do we use proprietary codecs? This is not the question of royalty amount (one could donate much more) bot the question of royalty itself.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FM!

8. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know enough to call a favorite.

I am vaguely interested in a digital radio, but somehow I didn't think I had any kind of choice and therefore the concept of a 'favorite' doesn't make sense to me yet. I either get the kind that lets me talk to one of my buddies, or I get the kind that lets me talk to a different buddy.

Am I wrong in thinking that a cross-mode hotspot should be an 8am-day-one starting point for a beginner in digital voice radio? I don't see how anyone else is getting anything done without that.

9. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the DV modes work but favourites will probably be dependant upon what you buy, which is dependant upon local repeaters available.

Simplex DV is done or so I'm told but I haven't made a simplex dv contact as yet ( about 9 months ).

Multi dv format format hotspot... most will do that but I only know of one that is said to provide transcoding of modes. So yes a hotspot seems pretty essential unless you want to sit on a local repeater.

I'd be happy to learn more but it does all seem a bit convoluted without much clarity.

10. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

My hotspot does have reflectors that are to rooms that I believe other digital modes are able to get to, YSF2DMR for instance. But I do not have the ability to see if it works across different digital modes.