ad: Schulman-1

What's your favorite boatanchor?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AI3V, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry John, that GPT750 is not properly deployed as a boat anchor.

Serving suggestion:

[​IMG]

2. WB0SND

WB0SND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's my junk...uh....stuff. Pretty much all boatanchors all of the time. I even contest with the 75A4/KWS-1. The pictures are a little old. There's even a computer screen next to the Collins stuff! This past weekend I worked the CQWW-WPX CW contest with them. How crazy is that?

Oh, my favorite? Gotta be my trusty 75A4/KWS1 combo. They drove me crazy getting them right, but now, I LOVE 'EM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike WB0SND

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that is a sexy shack!

4. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Picked up an HQ-129x today and it is a great addition to the shack. Someone sure took care of it as it looks new outside and is quite clean inside. It was recapped and aligned less than a year ago. It even has all documentation. I'll have to take a pic and post it later.

5. K9WXR

K9WXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Drake 1A & HT-37

Two of my old favorites. Both make it out once a year and are operated for a few days to remind me of what operation was like in the very early 60's.

[​IMG]

6. N4ISF

N4ISF Ham Member QRZ Page

Started life with an HQ 145 X and TX 1 Heathkit transmitter. I was trying to do CW and the receiver had way too much drift for the narrow CW filter I built. But I sure enjoyed listening to it. Someone gave me the HQ 145X because it was dead, found a missing power wire in it that fixed that. The TX 1 I traded for.

Actually my first shortwave radio was one that got passed my way after my grandfather died, a halicrafters s38C. That's the one that introduced me to the shortwave broadcast world.

7. N2UGB

N2UGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a couple of Kenwood hybrids, but they aren't boat-anchors, strictly speaking. I had an SP600 receiver and that would qualify.

75A4/KW1 pair in late 50's modified for USAF frequencies when I was in that branch of the service.

8. WA2ROC

WA2ROC Ham Member QRZ Page

My Heathkit station

I guess my favorite boatanchors are the oned I use on a regular basis: Heathkit Apache, Marauder, Mohawk, HO-10. keyer, 2040 tuner and the Non-Heathkit SX-111

9. WA9Z

WA9Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Favorite boatanchor?

The huge one laying on the ground at Mystic Seaport, CT. I have a picture of me sitting on it when I was 5, and one with my wife in the same pose at 47. The anchor has aged much better. Keep 'em glowing.

10. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

'SMD: I see you've got the Hammarlund HC10. Wow! That always struck me as an almost required add-on to a BA receiver with a 455 kc IF and no product detector. I believe it's the "sideband" part of an HQ-170/180, and, as such, must be an outstanding performer. How do you like yours?

And did you ever have a GSB-1 for your GPR-90? That's highly recommended. It's got some of the most pleasant sounding SSB reception I ever heard.

GREAT SHACK!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.