What's wrong

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1RUV, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:35 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1RUV

KB1RUV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I hope someone can help . Lately when I key my transmitter different appliances in the house react . Recently when I keyed my transmitter my wife told me that the dishwasher started draining by itself before that the coffee maker started clicking their have been times the gas fireplace made noise . My station is grounded to a copper bar and that is grounded to a copper clad ground rod at the base of my tower the coax from the antenna is grounded to the tower and the tower is grounded at the base . After looking I see there is no ground rod for the house it seems the breaker box is grounded to the water pipe however the pipe turns to plastic pipe at the foundation . Does anyone have any idea on what I can do to stop this.? Would putting my station on a seperate breaker help?
    Thanks
    Steve Gardner
    KB1RUV or email sjgardner01@ne.rr.com

2. WB2UAQ

WB2UAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve
    What is the antenna situation? I light off or on things from time to time. There's not much that can be done in regard to breakers and power wiring. There are so many variables. Every conductor in our houses will conduct RF currents and every appliance we have is more or less susceptible to RFI because they are loaded with electronics. I have tripped GFI breakers and impacted just about everything in the house over the years depending on band and antenna location. I have also turned on motion sensing lighting in my neighbors. I am sure have impacted a lot that I don't know about.
    I have solved some issues but they show up now and then. We can waste a lot of time investigating and experimenting. 73, Pete

3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you saying your house has NO ground at all? If this is the case, you really need to fix that ASAP - regardless of RF performance.

K2CAJ and N2EY like this.
  4. KB1RUV

Hi Pete I have a SteppIr 2el Yagi the tower is earth grounded at 2 legs also have a coax grounding bracket on one of the grounded legs also my radio,amplifier and control box are grounded by an earth ground my coax is low loss cable and it's only 50' it's kind of crazy how this stuff happens Thanks for the reply and I'll figure it out some how. 73 Steve

5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS!!!

Regardless of RF, there needs to be a ground that meets NEC code requirements!

(This lack of ground on the AC service could be the real source of your troubles).

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That sounds either inconceivable or dangerous. I'd call the utility company (power company) immediately and get that corrected before doing anything else.

7. KB1RUV

As I stated I have not found a ground rod in or out side the ground line coming from the breaker box attaches to a ground clamp on the main water line in the house however that line turns to plastic at the foundation I am going to splice the ground cable and run it to an earth ground out side this week or put another ground clamp on the pipe and a seprate line outside. I thank you for your response to my question.

8. KB1RUV

Thanks but the utility co will Not touch anything after the meter as I said there is a ground line running to a ground clamp on the copper main water line however this line turns to plastic at the foundation . Don't want to drill thru 10" of concrete so I.m going to splice the ground and run it outside to an earth ground using #4 stranded copper.

9. KB1RUV

That's what I think will be doing a fix on it early next week . It's grounded to copper that turns to plastic don't know why there is no rod in or outside the guy that had the place built cut corners every where. I am going to either re run the ground line outside or put another ground clamp next to it and run #4 copper to a ground rod outside . Thanks for your response.

10. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No ground rod right by your electric meter???

KB1RUV likes this.