What's with "thirty"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5MIL, Sep 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Was listening to a group of hams on 75 meters the other night. Five or six in a round table. Every time they id'ed they gave their call sign followed by the word "thirty" What up with that? Sounds like a hold over from CB maybe.

Bill - K5MIL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they just need a drink and can't pronounce thirsty.

K9ASE and F8WBD like this.
  3. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they're announcing their IQ. If you're looking for the Mensa Net, keep spinning. :D

K2XT, K9ASE, KF5RRF and 5 others like this.
  4. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a secret code-word for their club. If you don't know the word, you can't talk. Good thing nobody can hear it.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Journalist speak for end of story.......I think most today should start with '30' and stop there :)

K1TGX and WA7PRC like this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, and the journalists got it from the telegraphers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/92_Code

KA0GKT and KU4X like this.
  7. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

And Amateurs are still using it...sort of. In American (land line or railroad) Morse Code, the numeral 3 is Di-Di-Di-Dah-Dit; The numeral Zero is a very long DAH, approx. three times longer than a standard Dah. So, when you send SK (Di-Di-Di-Dah-Di-Dah) You are sending a close approximation of a Land-Line Morse 30.

When you send ES for "and", you're sending a close approximation of the Land-Line Morse Ampersand (&).

WW0W, NL7W, N0NB and 2 others like this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear some guys around here (OK, in a three state circle at least) on 75 that ID and say on the tens.

I hear something similar on news radio when the traffic reports or weather reports come up on the X's

10. AF7XI

AF7XI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it's late at night, most of the folks on 75m are not thirsty. In fact, I'd guess most of them have had plenty to drink.

N4FLF, KQ0J, K4PIH and 5 others like this.