ad: wmr-1

What's up with Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB8NUT, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone have any inside knowledge on the status of TenTec? I thought they were supposed to be back manufacturing radios by now.

Do any of the former Ten-Tec employees know when was the last time they actually manufactured a radio?

No news. No changes to the website. Can't believe the "commercial receiver order" is still taking up all their time.

Starting to think they just are not coming back with the only thing remaining being a service operation.

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I have been seeing on the Tentec reflector, the new owner is restoring what was left of the smoking bulk, and that is a slow process, with many daunting challenges. Communications with radio owners, which the new Tentec is not legally responsible for, but to ignore is unacceptable PR-wise, probably bogs things down considerably.

Owners of recently purchased radios expect things for free, and even we who have older radios need questions answered.

If it was easy, everybody would do it!

4. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Word is that Ten Tec will be resuming production of the Omni VII by the end of October, followed by resumption of the Eagle. I do not have information as to whether these will be the same design as the originals or if they will include updates, although it was previously indicated that an Omni VII+ and an Eagle+ (updated models, that is) were being considered.

There are also some other items that will soon be back "in the pipeline" but I don't have the email regarding them in front of me.

Ten Tec has for several months now resumed their repair business. Word is that they are very busy. My understanding is that Mike Dishop was able to restock a lot of the parts inventory that the previous owners disposed of, so they can once again repair many of the older rigs that the recent past owners declined to work on.

Mike has also previously indicated that he is purchasing components on a cash basis. He is trying to avoid getting into debt on supplies, which (if I understood him correctly) is one of the reasons that a past owner had to sell the company.

Anyone seriously interested in the details can get more info from the various Ten Tec reflectors. There are several people on them who are getting the word direct from Ten Tec or Dishtronix and passing it on.

I also understand that Alpha Amplifiers (which was also purchased by Mike and his partners in a separate transaction from the purchase of Ten Tec) is also getting back on it's feet, so to speak. There was a repost of an email from Mike regarding someone's service complaint, which outlined a lot of the steps he has taken since acquiring both firms.

Mike did indicate in that email that one of the previous owners of both companies (he did not specifically name which one, although I have a good guess) was merely a liquidator and was in the process of dismantling both companies. So he's had to do a lot of work to put each of them back together, a process which takes a lot of time and money.

At present, it appears that Ten Tec and Alpha are being operated separately. Whether or not that changes in the future is information I do not have.

Obviously there are many who want things to go at a faster pace. One can disagree with the way Mike has chosen to run his companies. But they are now his companies, and only he can make those decisions, and if they don't work out, he will deal with the consequences. (And if they do work out, as I sincerely hope they do, he will also reap the rewards)

K7LZR, W8ZNX, NL7W and 3 others like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope this all works out. It is quite an undertaking.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope it works out, too.

Dishtronix is taking things slowly but seems to be on the right path.

NL7W likes this.
  7. KC0MIS

KC0MIS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Omni series C. 30 years old (?) and STILL a terrific rig. Keep it up guys! :):):):):):):)

8. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but there seems to be some rumours about some kind of Dishwater or Dishwasher takeover going around........:oops:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

WN and Mike need to get a room. :D:D

Seriously it's great news about TenTec. They made and hopefully will make great stuff. Thanks for the update!

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My friend John, (NT9L) out in Denver, has a TenTec Century-21 that had a broken gear in the PTO. He hooked up with them on-line & they said "send it in". It was about a 2 week turn-around & now he's back on-the-air with it completely satisfied with the customer service & repairs. :) (this all took place back in July)

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    NL7W and N4FZ like this.