What's the best straight key for a newbie to code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VA3AEX, Aug 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly. Within a character, spaces between dits and dahs are controlled by the keyer, as they have to be since the keyer will send a string of either. You have to operate the paddles in sync with the keyer or you'll not get the correct number of dits (too few or too many), and maybe even an extra dah in iambic mode.

May keyers can be set to auto space between characters. If you pause longer than the space between dits and/or dahs in a character, the keyer won't send the next dit/dah until 3 spaces (the normal character spacing) has transpired. Again, you got to be in sync with this or the next character will have to many or too few dits/dahs at the start.

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I didn't explain it very well.

My keyer doesn't have auto space, so I have no experience with that.

However, it does do the correct timing on dit/dah transitions, such as would occur in a U or a V, even if you "rush" the dah.

I found that it is better to be slightly "ahead" of the keyer for this kind of transition than it is to try to time this yourself. If you don't, you can wind up with I T or S T, for the example characters above. The timing difference may only show in a "fussy" decoder, so it may not matter in practice.

Of course the operator has to hold the paddle for the correct duration to get the desired number of dits or dahs in a string. I never meant to imply anything different.