What's the best logging application?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by VK7GZ, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VK7GZ

VK7GZ Ham Member QRZ Page

...And I aint talking trees here... :) I am thinking of making the move from a paper log to a PC based one, but have no idea which one would be best. I have done some sniffing around on teh internets and am now more confused than I was 24 hours ago. There's so many to choose from. I dont need anything flash. Dont need integrated rig control or cluster support. Just a good log that is easy to back up. I'm interested to see what you folks use and why. Your thoughts will be helpful, for sure. Cheers :)

Edit: Also, I think I'd like something that tracks DXCC, WAZ etc.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. VK7GZ

Thanks for the link... will have a look now.

4. N4ENT

N4ENT Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too!

I JUST went through what you are looking for. I was also looking for something easy to work with. I have loaded a dozen of the programs. Most of them worked, some did not (Vista computer).

So far the best and easiest has been N3FJP,s ACLog. http://www.n3fjp.com/
    There is a cost of $20, but that is cheap for the ease of how the program works. You will have to load a call sign database but that too was not hard.

As far a DXCC, WAZ, I see the WAZ but am not sure if or how it does the DXCC since I have not gotten that far into the program.

I am sure a few others will throw in their favorites.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide on.

73!

Ed

5. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Ham Radio Deluxe, but I dont contest.

Andrew

6. VK7GZ

Am looking at HRD and Winlog32 at the moment - both seem good, albeit with more functionality than I need ;)

7. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another vote for MacLoggerDX...

...it's much more than logging, but it does that very, very well.
    Macintosh Platform.
    Good luck!

8. K9MRD

K9MRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use XMLog, www.xmlog.com. XMLog has logging, Award tracking and rig control if you ever decide to use it. Simple to use and free! By the way, interfacing to the rig makes logging even easier - frequency, mode, and QRZ.com lookups are done automatic.

Wayne

9. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a spread sheet program like Lotus 123 or MS-Office Excel write your own. You can set it up to do call look up data queries cut and past directly from QRZ. And it is set up like you want it.

10. VK7GZ

I actually thought about this as I have used Excel extensively for years. This might be a longer-term, ongoing project I think.

I have just spent the last hour or so playing with Winlog32. I kinda like it, but I will check out a few others tomorrow.

Thanks for the info so far - appreciated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.