What's QRP to you?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by OK2XOC, Jun 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, you're wrong.

QRP is defined as 5 watts carrier output or less.

Well, they're wrong about that.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP, maybe when my bladder if full, have to QRT2P !! :D

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe 7 W of DC carrier power ? is 5.25 W of carrier out with a plate modualted class C final, becomes almost 8 W of output and QRP cuts off at 5 watts !

[QU

4. N4AXE

N4AXE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still a young nut as far as the hobby goes, but I operate 100w, 600w qro and more recently 100w mobile (might as well be qrp with the amount of ground plane I have). I use what I need to make the contact most generally speaking. During a ragchew on 80 or 40 if I don't need the amp I shut it down. I have operated qro with jt/psk and cw... 200w on 30m to get Heard Island... That was nothing short of a miracle trust me. Especially given the antenna I did it from.

Now that my home and mobile station are for the time being finished I have decided to pickup an 817nd and operate portable with some home made accessories. It is when it happens quite nice to work someone on low power... on purpose. I've had a few 5-10w ssb qso's and several 1w psk31 qso's. Very enjoyable in there own right. That's the best part about the hobby. It is so diverse with potential activities.

I look forward to working some of you guys qrp cw/psk/ssb!

5. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

The pursuit of perfection. Defined as simple but not too simple.

6. PE2YSB

PE2YSB Ham Member QRZ Page

When i started with the hobby i was "forced" to work QRP. I didn't have money for a nice high power rig and my parents didn't want me to put an antenna on their roof. (I still lived at home at the time, being 19 years old)

So i was able to borrow an old TS-120V from a friend (PG5D) in order to see if QRP on a home brew dipole (for 20m and 40m) made from simple electricity cable and a home brew tuner would do it for me. The antenna I placed in the attic, between two bookshelves. I don't work CW, so I worked in SSB with 10W output power and fell in love with it. After two months I asked PG5D if i could buy the TS-120v and the tuner from him.

A year later i bought a ft-817, reducing my power to 5w, but i liked the rig a bit better. Usually i would work 20m on the 817 and 40m on the ts-120v.

When i moved to a dorm room i didn't bring the rigs with me and wasn't active on the air a lot with my own station. I did spend a lot of time working QRO at the university HAM radio society. (PI4TUE).

Now, many years later i moved around a bit, but always lived in apartments where again nice antenna's aren't an option. I seem to have misplaced my antenna tuner, wire dipoles and one of my power supplies.
    But i still have my ft-817 working using a small power supply (13,8V 2A max, the TS-120V consumes more)
    As an antenna i have a multiband outback HF antenna, the one with the big coil and a small cable to tap the coil in order to select a band. I've tried this antenna by placing it horizontally against my balcony guardrail as a ground plane.

I was surprised about what happend. With this short 1,70m long antenna on my balcony, using my ft-817 with only 5W in SSB i was able to break through pileups (I did use the magic word QRP), made QSO's over 3000km to Russia, it was awesome!

As soon as i move to a bigger house with a garden i'm going to place a real properly tuned dipole for 20m in my backyard. And maybe a vertical multiband antenna, but i'm sticking to my TS-120V and ft-817 :)

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Myself, I 'm just starting out enjoying portable CW operating both QRP and less than 50w. Running on battery power and solar charging is a fun experiment as is sorting out the antenna setup.
    Yesterday, at home, I was running a classic Drake TR7 at five watts or less.
    The rig will do mw power output as well. So there's another twist on QRP; One need NOT invest in a dedicated small rig to enjoy low power operating challenges! Try using what is at hand to begin with and be persistant, have fun. If you aren't inclined to kit build or homebrew that's not a requirement either.
    Enjoyed a 2 x QSO the other day with aa2ko in NYC, his first CW QSO. Happy man, Happy man! was his exlaimation with the results of his first try and reaching me in Columbus, Ohio with his 3 watt Cub and invee setup.
    So, use what's at hand and get with it! QRP whether fixed, mobile or portable is a lotta fun... VY 73 Lane sk de n8aft ..

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP to me:

CW: 5 wattts
    SSB: 10 watts
    AM: 100 watts

9. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

QRPP up to 1W out
    QRP up to 5W out

But it's relative ;-)
    I had a 1 hour CW chat on 80m the other day. I was running 1W, but that was QRO in this case. He was running 50mW.

10. KM0MMM

KM0MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

The most fun I had with QRP (5w SSB), a bicycle with an FT-817ND on the handlebars, a gel cell battery on the cross bar, and a hamstick on the rear fender. My ride ended at the overlook in Colorado Springs, but my QSOs had just begun. It was a blast!