What's QRP to you?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by OK2XOC, Jun 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4MQC

W4MQC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP is the fly fishing of ham radio.

W3KHG, KU4X, K4YND and 1 other person like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And in the case of both you hope to get lucky and "hook one" .

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

to me, QRP is exactly what the ARRL defines it to be 5W CW, 10W SSB. BUT that's not the whole story of why I use it. I love it because it is not easy. Sure, I can put up my store-bought antenna, crank up my amp to a full KW and blast my signal all over the place. That's what half of the Hams do nowadays. Anybody with half a brain can do it.... and it seems rather lazy and meaningless to me. If I just wanted to rag-chew with folks about nothing of importance, I could do that with my cellphone.

I use QRP modes because they offer a challenge, and force me to pay attention to things like propagation conditions, optimum antenna tuning, producing a clean signal, and having a crisp operating style. Then when I do make a long contact, I know I've accomplished something. Like W4MQC just said.... it's like fly fishing.

WD5IKX, KU4X, K7WFM and 2 others like this.
  4. N5EIT

N5EIT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Said...

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. MM6ECO

MM6ECO Ham Member QRZ Page

loop2.png QRP to me is about homebrew and using as little power as possible on the bands.
    Using inexpensive antennae made out of the likes of wire and things you find spare to use.

6. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FT-817 powered by a 100 watt solar panel, 10 amp battery array and an MFJ Big Stick rotatable Diapole.

I can't talk to everyone, but I do know when disaster strikes and grid power is gone, I will still be on the air while all the other guys are figuring out how to power up their 1.5KW shacks...

7. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP to me is 1 Watt and less!!!!!

@KM6CND when you mentioned MFJ Big stick..... I immediately thought of the Joysticks from Partridge Electronics developed by G3CED and G3VFA.... 'work the world on 10Watts'. A dummy load on a piece of wire kinda thing.

Dave

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    KM6CND likes this.
  8. PD7MAA

PD7MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP_way_of_life.JPG

K4YND and KC8YLT like this.
  9. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

100 watts ..... Anything less is ' sadistic ' ......

JB

10. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, I also bought a Black Widow fishing pole, 13 foot telescoping fiberglass rod for $2.00 at Walmart. I attached a humble piece of thin copper wire to the tip. I can secure it between the seat and console and elevate it through the sun roof. It makes a very nice vertical for 6m :)