What's QRP to you?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by OK2XOC, Jun 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree the real fun of QRP is making the hard contact. Frankly find rag chewing rather unninteresting since Hams usually want to talk about their rigs or give you info already on QRZ. To me the fun is a brief contact at the limits of my rigs ability. Made a QRP ( 7 watts ) from NY to Alabama SSB. Lasted maybe a minute or two but was thrilled. The hobby should have room for us all.

KK4NSF, AG5DB, KC8YLT and 1 other person like this.
  2. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I stood on the cliff at Pt. Loma one night with a ht running 250 mw on 450 and talked to a guy in Santa Barbara. Almost any FRS radio could have done it in the same conditions.

3. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey All. QRP is whatever you want it to be (within reason). Five Watts is a "pretty good" cap -in some instances (like 40 M NVIS). At other times (like V/Uhf sideband) MUCH lower levels (single mW ranges) were "the norm". I once mast mounted a 50 ohm resistor and had QSO's at good distances using VERY low power FM ( around 3 or 4 mW ? ). Granted the other stations had good ears, but for FM not bad. I also ran two QRPp beacons in the HF "experimental" ranges.

Kind of OT, but still QRP. One of the "Ultimate QRP" stories I ever read involved the very earliest days of shipboard spark radio transmitters and their accompanying "ship grade" crystal set receivers. The receivers had a tiny buzzer used to create "signal" to properly adjust the cat's whisker detector on the radio.It was found (by accident) that these "micro spark" transmitters were actually being heard by other ships tied up in the same port.So an informal QRP QSO party could sometimes be heard. But any serious traffic at full power would end that activity VERY quickly.

4. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

oh no not this again

here goes
    to me it varies

my old ARCI membership paper says QRP 100 watts or less

remember when 5 watts or less was QRPP

is somebody running 5 watts JT9 on 20 meters
    using a 3,000 dollar whiz bang xceiver hooked to
    6 EL Yagi a 100 ft really QRP

when

somebody running 14 watt rock bound HB glow bug
    with a HB twinplex regen hooked to a
    short inverted L on 160 meters
    is not running QRP

to me it is doing more with less
    building simple rigs and antennas

building then trying to make a contact
    with a 150 mw acorn tube hb rig
    on 80 meters five nights in a row
    being filled with joy when work a station in Upstate NY

contests
    you play by the rules

still in the stacks
    mac

OK2XOC likes this.
  5. N7GH

N7GH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, back in the day, 1973, I was fresh with my novice license and a friend was over to my shack, he worked a guy in Hawaii that using a "tuna can radio", a crystal transceiver built in a tuna can with a 9v battery, and that has been the best QRP I've ever seen!

I do 100 Watts with my rigs running barefoot into a hustler 4BTV on my garage metal roof, I have worked the world with this and often I am called "QRP" by the full gallon boys, expecially those down in Cali--6ers. Realistically if you are running 5 Watts CW or 10 Watts sideband, then my hat is off to you and I will usually yield in a pileup to you. You are the brave of heart, and put the sport in Radio Sport.

True QRP is like trying to take a Tarpon on a fly rod, it can be done, but you have to really know how to do it--keep up the good work and I tip my hat to you.

AI6KX likes this.
  6. N0NCO

N0NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

5W or less, regardless of mode or antenna system.

KP4SX and KC8YLT like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't remember that. I joined in the early 80s and it was 5 watts then. Note the logo:
    [​IMG]

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they ought to have awards for people on stealth antennas! Of course it would require a definition of stealth. The most basic definition would probably be a specified power limit and an antenna with nothing visible above a specified height.

K7XRL likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading the question in the thread title there can be no wrong answer whatever QRP means to YOU is the correct answer.

10. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

To me it's working the world (propagation being on my side) with 5w and low OCFD. With 'low' I mean average about 25 feet high.
    I will never ever forget in the 2015 CQ WPX CW having worked KH7XX (for Western Europe always a difficult path) in a fierce pile-up with this set-up.

72, good DX
    Gust ON7QRP

PS
    Now be honest wouldn't you guys love having a call with the suffix I have?