What's QRP to you?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by OK2XOC, Jun 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRP is busting the pileup just because someone thought they might have heard "QR<something>" which might have been someone saying QRP, and they were right.

2. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone needs better antennas, or at least thinks they do, or at least dreams thereof.

I now operate only QRP CW, with fairly modest antennas. Still, I have worked all over the place with QRP power. It would be better to have better antennas, of course. I am seldom bothered by QRM from those pesky VU2's and 4S7's.

QRP teaches patience, persistence, and prowess, not bad qualities to acquire and cultivate for real life. There are a few QRPers on the DXCC Honor Roll and many more getting closer. Www.qrpdx.com.

When I had the L-4B and giant quad at 60', I expected to work everyone I called, and pretty much did. Now, at 5 watts and a simple wire antenna, when I call and they come back to me, it's a thrill!

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What kills me is that 7W ERP from a 5W rig is QRP, but 3W ERP from a 150W rig is not.

Just like driving a Prius 70,000mi a year is "green", but driving an Esuvie 30mi a year is not.

MI0YLT likes this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In a contest or award, QRP is whatever the people making the rules say it is. But otherwise, I don't care much for precise definitions. It's a strategy of making the most out of low power.

I often use QRP for portable operations. There, I'm really trying to minimize the total size, weight, and cost of the whole system: rig, antenna, and batteries, while maximizing the potential distance of communication. That generally drives me toward QRP HF CW. But by balancing the whole system, I end up with a small portable antenna and a small portable transceiver.

A friend of mine was trying to test out a 40m beam on a tower to see how well it worked, so he hooked it up to a 500mW (half-watt) Rockmite, and made a 3000 mile coast-to-coast QSO. It wasn't exactly a great balance between the size and cost of the rig versus the size and cost of the antenna, and the antenna wasn't portable at all. But it did demonstrate that the antenna was working quite well. QRP? By most any definition, yes.

Another friend of mine has experimented with terrain, trying to see by what margin he can exceed the published range limits of common "blister pack" FRS handhelds. You know how they always have something like a "23 mile range" claim posted on the package, and yet the radios usually can't reach more than a mile or two. But with the right terrain, those distance limits can be exceeded by several times. That's not even ham radio, but it is playing in the spirit of trying to see what the capabilities of inexpensive, low power equipment can be.

KK4NSF and (deleted member) like this.
  5. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

To me, running QRP is running a priority station, I always answer any QRP calling on the band. The station blasting in at 59+60 db and using a 8 el beam on HF running 6KW is not doing anything clever, on the contrary, If he has a good antenna then i would hear him if he was running 5 watts, so where is the glory ??? If he can't hear my 100w reply, then he is like an idiot in a busy room shouting at the top of his voice..but he's totally deaf !! and we have all met those on the air...
    Take it another few thousand miles, someone will hear his signal just above the noise but would have to run 60KW into their G5RV if he was ever to hear their reply...so it's just a wast of power.

If two men were drowning in a pool, which would you rescue first? the one shouting kicking and thrashing about like a mad man or the one quietly floating on his back with barely enough strength left to call help again..I would help the latter...
    Going camping or boating and taking a low power radio and simple antenna can be a life saver as well as providing some good entertainment making qso's using less power than a basic torch !!! Bravo, and the qso's he has, a far more rewarding..

There should be more QRP contests, (i don't like contests) but if there has to be a contest on every flaming weekend, then i would prefer them to be a lot quieter !!! and more interesting..but no it's gloves off, turn up the wick and just keep shouting I4 blah blah blah over and over on top of another ten stations doing the same thing...and on every frequency across the band. Long Live QRP !!!

AG5DB, MI0YLT, N5JLD and 3 others like this.
  6. EA1ITC

EA1ITC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For my QRP is the use of the radio with a transmission of 5W or less.

For long time I was using an Uniden 2830 with a 3 elements yagi on a 12mts tower height, now due QTH limitations, am using a FT817 with the 5W output connected to a multiband portable antenna and this is great! I am feling very happy when with this setup I have a QSO with a station at more than 2000kms from my QTH, or when the other ham station tell me that his power is 500W with a report of 57 and when his report is 59... just two points more of signal when the power ratio is 100 times more!!!!
    Come on, this helps me to maintain my ham station with QRP for ever!!!

I am really sure this is more satisfying with 5W than 500, 700 or 1500W.

73 de EA1ITC - KG7WPZ

Please feel free to take a look my QRZ page for more details about me and radio setup

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. Yeah, we worked the state parks on the air several times with QRP -- but we had an NVIS antenna that worked. Some of the big stations couldn't believe we were running an 817 and a 40m inverted V about 15 feet high at the center.

When I was playing with WSPR, I started out at 2.5 watts and started cranking it down -- it got hard to tell exactly where 1 watt was, but I was still being heard.

8. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious... why is 3 W from a 150 W rig not QRP? QRP ARCI defines QRP as running a transmitter output level power of 5 W or less on CW and 10 W or less on SSB. I don't recall them specifying what kind of transmitter must be used to produce those power levels, and I know they don't specify ERP (nothin' wrong with a little antenna gain if you can swing it!). Are you perhaps referring to the resulting low ERP from running 150 W into an antenna system with a zillion-to-one VSWR and ultra-lossy feedline and losing 99 percent of your power in the bargain? I guess I could agree with that.

9. OK2XOC

OK2XOC Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't specify it for AM/FM or any other digital modes? o_O

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He said 3W ERP, not 3W transmitter output power.

The effective gain/loss of the coax and antenna system is obviously what he was getting at when he mentioned that you can get 7W ERP out of a 5W transmitter.

And 150 W of transmitter power producing 3W ERP isn't that terribly farfetched. It's about 17dB loss total. A long stretch of lossy coax would help, but that kind of loss can even be achieved with a fairly good antenna system, if that good antenna happens to be pointing in a direction that doesn't favor your receiving station.

KC9UDX likes this.