What's QRP to you?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by OK2XOC, Jun 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Frankly I prefer to not discuss what kind of power I'm running on the air.

In my roughly five measly years of being active I've been utterly blasted for running too little or too much power.

I've been lambasted for only running 150W. I've been royally insulted for running 75W, because that's just far too much.

I've been running in excess of a kilowatt and had a guy ask me if I was QRP. I could tell by his tone that I was in for it either way, so I lied and told him I really didn't know. "I didn't feel like getting up to go look at the transmitter." Why? Because we had a reasonable discussion otherwise.

If I feel good about how little or how much power I'm running I normally keep it to myself. But usually I don't "feel good"about it; I just do whatever I deem appropriate at the time.

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Frankly I prefer to not discuss what kind of power I'm running on the air.

In my roughly five measly years of being active I've been utterly blasted for running too little or too much power.

I've been lambasted for only running 150W. I've been royally insulted for running 75W, because that's just far too much.

I've been running in excess of a kilowatt and had a guy ask me if I was QRP. I could tell by his tone that I was in for it either way, so I lied and told him I really didn't know. "I didn't feel like getting up to go look at the transmitter." Why? Because we had a reasonable discussion otherwise.

If I feel good about how little or how much power I'm running I normally keep it to myself. But usually I don't "feel good"about it; I just do whatever I deem appropriate at the time.

OK2XOC likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Think of QRP first in terms of band conditions if the bands are dead or nearly so won't consider it same if the band is very crowded otherwise I enjoy QRP and operate it from time to time just as I fire up the amp(s) from time to time if additional power is indicated. My idea of QRP is up to about 10 watts not concerned with what the so called "official" limit may be and mode not a power factor but 98% of my QRP operation is CW.

AI6KX likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP in the early 1960's
    I operated most of my 7 Novice months with a variety of homebrew rigs with one tube transmitters. I kept experimenting until I found something that would get a signals out on 80M CW. ,
    I had a cigar box based 6AQ5 transmitter that ran 6 W DC (that's how the FCC determined Amateur radio power then) Maybe 4 W RF output, for quite a while.
    I made lotls of contacts around the Great Lakes Area with it after school and in the early evenings.
    I built another transmitter that used several different 8 pin octal baseed tubes . The 6L6, 6V6, 6F6 audio rated beam power tetrode tubes all had the same pin-out and generated fair power output on 80M !
    One day I plugged in a 6C5 (or maybe it was a 6J5?) triode tube and measured about 3 W of plate input power (maybe 2 W RF output) and it got out to a station about 300 miles away one afternoon. I told the guy what I was running, and the guy told me he did not believe me and signed out.
    Too many people don't believe QRP works....BUT it DOES !!!! :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    KK4NSF and OK2XOC like this.
  5. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

5 watts any mode-

6. OK2XOC

OK2XOC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's indeed entirely possible. One of my friends made a QSO from CZ to Portugal (1000+km) with just 5W handheld running loop antenna.

What I like about UHF is that you can clock down the power a lot for very comparable results to higher power. Leap from 500mW to 10mW resulted in 59+ report going towards 53, but still perfect copy. Further reduction to 1.4mW reduced my report to 41, still perfectly understandable though. As for VHF and lower, I don't have much success in such QRPP, even Line-of-sight QSOs running 50mW and up result in quite poor reports.

Clocking down the power into microwatt region (that is if anyone's interested in reading this), everything starts to matter - moving objects in vicinity, every smart gadget, sodium lamps nearby, Johnson noise and even LED backlight on HT.
    But the propagation really starts to be interesting. So much can be learnt from such experiments.
    How 70cm UHF propagates over a body of water, how it scatters, etc.

The obvious downside is once someone starts to blast RF nearby, you can end up with damaged gear.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe its because I'm an old guy but I still consider 5w or less to be QRP power. In recent decades it also implies minimalist operation like using crappy antennas and little homemade things. To be an effective QRPer you need BETTER antennas! I worked 160-odd countries with real QRP but always had a beam or quad.
    I've got nothing against minimalist operation and have done quite a bit myself. My best DX was Australia with a homebrew 3/4 watter. (four 2N2222As) :)
    QRP ARCI #4730

KK4NSF, OK2XOC and (deleted member) like this.
  8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I am running 100W, I am way QRP!!! Normal power is a KILLERWATT!!!

KC9UDX and OK2XOC like this.
  9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the group I chew the rag with on seventy five with have agreed that any power level below 500W is QRP.

KC9UDX likes this.
  10. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is having your signal report edited downward after telling the other station your power.

KN3O, WD0BCT, KC9UDX and 1 other person like this.