What's QRP to you?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by OK2XOC, Jun 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. OK2XOC

OK2XOC Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that for vast majority of people, QRP is about low power (less than 5W), HF frequencies, home-brewed kits and CW.
    To me QRP is about UHF and sub-mW (even μW) powers, multistage LNAs, bandpass filters and SKEDs :)
    And also mW/km and μW/km :D

MI0YLT likes this.
  2. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

CW 5 watts or less SSB 10 watts or less. (SSB much tougher). Antenna simple wire or vertical set up in park or at home.

Using stacked beams on a tower, is kind of like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Somewhat hypocritical because much of my DX QRP is probably due to the other guy having a tower.

MI0YLT likes this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I worked in broadcast engineering, I thought that anything less than the 16KW transmitter I worked with was low power. Then, I toured US Naval Radio Station Oso, WA (Jim Creek). At that time, they were running lower power... 1296A into 0.456Ω (766KW).

Thus, QRP is a matter of opinion.

KG7OOM, K7WXW, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've had guys tell me my 7W carrier AM is not QRP. I disagree.

It seems the same people say 5W CW is only QRP if you use transistor finals.

OK2XOC likes this.
  5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Transmitting QRP is easy...

...a great big THANK YOU to all you ops (QRP or QRO) who make the effort to dig our puny signals out of the dirt and get us in your log.
    You're the best! :cool:

Regards,
    -Bruce
    KA1NOS

K5UTM, K3MRK, N5EIT and 4 others like this.
  6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

To me, QRP is doing the most with the least, regardless of band or mode. Building is fun, but it's really more about experimentation, which really is the true spirit of amateur radio....

MI0YLT and OK2XOC like this.
  7. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's been a heated discussion about QRP/QRO on eHam (in the Antennas forum for some reason). The 1.5 kw guys believe they are doing us a favor by providing loud signals to answer, and saving everyone the strain of listening to weak signals. Of course some just say honestly they like the feeling of burning through a pileup.

I suppose after you have invested a pile of dough in the heavy stuff you need to justify it by using it, just like our Department of Defense does.

Steve in militarized Okinawa

OK2XOC and AG5DB like this.
  8. OK2XOC

I'm usually hitting walls with my approach, which forces me to experiment on my own.
    Local HAMs take QRP as a waste of one's lifetime and no-one has the RIG to pull my -178dBm signals from noise (unless I lend them my receiver).
    I take it QRP is about quality more than quantity - just one QSO with both sides TXing at 1.4μW is worth patting yourself on the back, rather than filling the list with hundreds of names. :cool:
    Unfortunately, no-one seems to embrace that concept.

W3KHG, N8AFT, KE5ES and 2 others like this.
  9. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I embrace that concept.

It is more fun, as far as I am concerned, and I am interested in optimizing each component for QRP and portability, rather than high power.

I can get in like gangbusters with less than 10 watts SSB, with favorable propagation.

I look at propagation to see that I am up out of the noise, so less than 2 watts is "not so much" for me but I admire the achievement of QRPp.

OK2XOC likes this.
  10. OK2XOC

Agreed, it's even more fun when you have someone local that'd make those experiments with you.
    The problem with these QRP receiving rigs is that they're not really useable outside their intended purpose. Being able to pull up weak signals correlates with not being able to receive strong signals distortion-free, in another words, for such rigs, everything becomes source of RFI.
    But that's the fun part of it. It's complete opposite of what "regular" OP would do. :)