What's Killing Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K0BJJ, Sep 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0BJJ

K0BJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard that as well, and I my no means meant the hobby is dying, in fact i think its more alive now than even a year ago, but we do have things to improve on and that was the point of the video to point some of those things out.

2. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to make some statements.

0. Amateur radio is not dying.
    1. Number of licensees does not exactly reflect number of ham OPs.
    1.1. With distribution of 'social media' including but not limited to internet forums, internet social nets, internet messengers, etc., hamradio lost its 'social net' role.
    1.2. With loosing noticeable amount of not-really-hams who used amateur radio as social media the number of licensees overall could decline but statistics does not confirm this.
    1.3. With loosing noticeable amount of not-really-hams who used amateur radio as social media the percentage of ideological radio amateurs increases so 'quality' of remaining OPs increases.
    2. Today the situation is better than ever before. Today one could buy ready made anything. Today one could buy any parts and/or any kits to build something by oneself. Today information is widely available so one could learn for anything first instead of hard way of trial and error.
    3. Today is easiest time to get the ticket. Some countries dropped code requirement, some other reduced to 5WPM (and will probably drop it the future) so no more scary code (still one shall voluntary learn code to get access to DXs).

N3RYB and W4HMB like this.
  3. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the colors of your T shirt.

There certainly are, always will be, grumpy old men/women in any hobby/sport/activity. I was a Tech for twelve years before getting my General and found that I didn't care for repeaters. I was a trucker running, mostly, from TX coast to W. Canada and Alaska. I turned off the split freq function on my 706 and just learned to enjoy "head-on" (as I call it) communications with whomever I could reach. Also, I used the 706 while sailing on the Atlantic Ocean so I wouldn't be restricted to standard marine vhf rigs. I thought it to be really fun on ten meters in the middle of the ocean. I would be choked with pileups of hams calling me. I used a 102" whip, with four 1/4 wave radials, on top of my mast which was 49' above the water.

IMHO, and, like others say, "get out of the basement." Go find some form of communications that do whatever it is that you are looking for in AR.

DM2TT and KF5VDX like this.
  4. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Try HF . Put up some antennas . Get the Handbook and the Antenna book . There are people on 24/7 on HF . You are close enough to I 80 to pick up some travelers on simplex 2M . But from the basement an HT is not too good .

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  5. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

tl;dw

6. K0BJJ

you didnt watch more than 2 minuets of the video did you? I'm on HF pulse if you scroll through the threads i post POTA videos regularly.

7. K8EEI

I could not stand watching any more of it .You starting out with an HT from the basement made me quit watching it . Good luck . Did you do the things I suggested ?

8. K0BJJ

I addressed things you brought up later in the video with more problems with those things. Maybe watch before you speak? Listen before you speak? Just a thought.

9. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, when you find a segment of AR that you don't like then stay away from it. That's I what I did / do. I watched the video until at 5:51. LOL Sorry. I'll go watch the rest now.

10. K8EEI

I think you are being a weeny . Just a thought . Your future in ham radio videos is not good in my opinion . If you could make a video that somebody could stand watching for more than 2 minutes it might help . Good day , sir . I said good day , troll !

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.