What's a simple logging program?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD4UPL, Dec 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I used it a few days ago to enter a couple of contacts, for this specific task, it cannot be beaten.
    73 de Vince, VA3VF

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have Excel, you might consider ADIF-Excel Converter. This has absolutely no "bells and whistles", such as pull-downs for MODE, WAS progress, etc.

Link: http://www.dl1hw.darc.de/adif_en.html

To convert an Excel worksheet to ADIF, the program uses the column values in the first row as ADIF field names, such as QSO_DATE, CALL, TIME_ON, etc. The user can define whatever is supported by the target application, such as eQSL or LoTW. There isn't any waiting for the latest version of the logging program to "catch up" with a moving target.

For the opposite, ADIF-Excel, the program fills in your chosen columns and ignores the rest, without changing the original .adi file.

The author wrote this to deal with Logger32's lack of multiple record edit capability, so he would convert .adi to .xls, edit as necessary, then convert .xls back to .adi. Logger32 maintained the "master" log. However, it is not limited to this workflow.

If you run this periodically for "not uploaded" pages in your paper log, the output .adi file can be uploaded to LoTW or eQSL without creating duplicates. You can then append it to the end of your master log, which gets larger every time you do this, but is not used for uploading.

If you want to research your entire "master.adi" log, just load the whole thing into Excel-ADIF Converter and use Excel's "Find" function.

Finally, if you have no desire to upload QSO records, or do multiple-record edits on a file exported from a different logging program, there really isn't much justification for using this converter. You could just use Excel as a standalone solution.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correction -

For the ADIF-Excel conversion, the program creates the columns using the ADIF field names from the .adi file.

The "preferred layout" is ignored. It is used only in the Excel-ADIF direction.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

:(
    But not necessarily in that order...

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Version 1
    313016.JPG
    Upgrade version 2.
    il_340x270.1165625892_mj67.jpg
    John, WB0MPB

IU0KWX and WD0BCT like this.
  6. W3ON

W3ON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yepper. Selecting a logging program can be a daunting experience. I currently use

WIN-EQF -- yeah I am aware that Torkel no longer supports it. It works fine for me, even with Windows 10.
    It supports RIG control, DXcluster access, WINTEL cw operating, various types of award checking, Contest mode, etc.
    IMHO its a shame that the ham community quit supporting WIN-EQF with donations or purchases. Supposedly that's why
    Torkel quit supporting it. I don't blame him. I really like it ease for entering, and editing data.
    N3FJP's ACLOG--I also use it. Mostly because some of my ham buddies use it. It does things that WIN-EQF does, and does them very well.
    WINLOG32--is something that I am trying. It does a lot that's for sure. Not sure that I like it as much as the previous two.
    My choice--Hands down is the non supported WIN-EQF.

HAM RADIO DELUXE--is one that I have not used in a long time. I had it installed a long time ago, but took it off because I
    felt, at the time, that it was too bloated for my old PC. The new version, from what I hear, works very well.

N1MM software--I have no experience with it. From what I have read it is a great contesting program.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

73 de Chuck W3ON