What's a simple logging program?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD4UPL, Dec 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using the trial version of N3FJP and find it very easy to use. I enjoy it's automated logbook function. However, in talking to some other older Hams (my age) they had bad experience with logging software that had been in use for years that suddenly went out of business. The software and algorithms disappeared and was not transportable resulting in decades of logging information being lost forever. Some of them had such a bad taste in their mouth that they abandoned software logging systems altogether.

I've been out of amateur radio for 20-25 years and realize that logging isn't even required today. I myself always liked the concept of maintaining logs for posterity. What assurances do I have that a software system such as N3FJP won't become obsolete and not transportable to the latest technology?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Where in life are "assurances" granted? I missed that memo. :)

The N3FJP guy is young (30s), vibrant, and passionate.... and you can just email him directly as "a person"

ANYONE can go out of business - who 50 years ago would have imagined Heathkit going kaput?

Just acquire a logging program - N3JFP or whomever - and do REGULAR ADIF BACKUPS if you're concerned

ADIF in itself, being the standard of ALL logging stuff, could arguably be considered obsolete - it's an ancient format! But still universal and still supported.

If N3FJP goes out of business, your ADIF logs can just be imported into the "next cool thing".

Dave
    W7UUU

KM4SII likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 N3JFP. I bought the suite, but could not find the unlock key for my Winter Field Day program. Emailed Scott the night before the contest and got a reply within a few hours. Also worked him for Winter Field Day -- and the logger thanks you when you log his call sign.

N3AWS likes this.
  4. WD0BCT

Thanks about the ADIF back-up tip. I was aware you could do this and should have figured that out myself. Should be transportable.

I've got ARRL logbooks that go back 42 years! ;-)

5. WD0BCT

I believe death and taxes are two assured occurrences. :)

N3AWS likes this.
  6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

N3FJP hands down

KM4SII likes this.
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

TQSL is free is does exactly what you need.

8. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

N3FJP in my opinion is the best and I tried many before picking N3FJP logging software.
    Scott is great at helping you if you have any problems.

John, WB0MPB

N3AWS and KM4SII like this.
  9. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

I use DXlab for general logging, but I use N3FJP for contests. I LOVE N3FJP's software!

He is very helpful! I would recommend N3FJP....

73 de KM4SII

N3AWS likes this.
  10. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

DX Logger. Does everything you will ever need, when combined with the other DX Logger suite of AR software programs. This software is very easy to use, even for folks who aren't computer geeks to begin with. Everybody can afford the price of admission, I reckon. :)