What's a simple logging program?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD4UPL, Dec 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a ham for 23 years and have lots of paper logs. I'm not computer savvy at all but I'd like to finally join the modern world on logging. I want a very simple program to put all my contacts into and then simply upload it to Logbook of the World.
    I've heard that Logger 32 is a good one. Also DXLabs seems to get some good recommendations.
    I don't do contesting or computer rig control. All I want is some way to keep all the contacts straight.

Thanks,

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My fave is N3FJP hands down. Integrates to LoTW as well as eQSL. But it's not free.... I bought their whole package that gives me all their contest logs as well.

But logging software is a VERY personal choice - everyone has a favorite and will defend it to the death.... just try them all and find the "best fit" for you is what I suggest.

Dave
    W7UUU

WB0MPB, KC5AKB and KD4MOJ like this.
  3. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Give N3FJP a try. Very simple and easy to use. www.N3FJP.com

4. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want logging without transceiver control, then all you need from DXLab is its DXkeeper component, which is described here. Its interoperation with LoTW is described here.

I agree with Dave W7UUU: try them all, and choose the one that best fits your needs.

Dave, AA6YQ

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Logger32 and I'm ok with it. I'm also a paper logger and don't require interfaces and integrators. Maybe some others are better but for such an application as you describe I don't see how they could possibly be any simpler!

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll add a vote for N3FJP - I use it for everything, all the contest logs integrate with each other nicely.

7. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

+1 on N3FJP. You will never see any better customer service!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

8. N4AWP

N4AWP Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Winlog32, interfaces with LOTW, eQSL, has rig control and it is free. Colin does a great job on support and I support him. Try them all and find what you are comfortable with.
    Art N4AWP

9. AC8AC

AC8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

i like logger 32 lots of features but can be a bit trying for the less savvy . microlog by WA0H is nice $10 a year gets you a new cd with the call book built in great if your on dialup or no internet .. the program fills in most of the blanks

but keep in mind special events or dxpaditions may not be in the call book but its very easy to use and you can export to adif files for uploading to LOTW or what ever else you may use .. for a simple program well worth the money

the n3fjp suite is very nice too i use it for the common contest as he has difrent loggers for each event and it dose have a routine logger too

10. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the log that came with HRD. Does all I need plus a lot more. Of course everything is backed up with an old paper log using the ARRL logbook. :)