Whatever happened to Amplitude Companded SSB?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W2KG, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W2KG

W2KG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember about thirty years ago the big brouhaha about Amplitude Companded SSB (ACSSB)? As I recall, it didn't seem to get much traction in amateur radio. I wonder if anyone is using that mode in the ham bands currently? :confused:

2. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I was wondering the same thing myself not long ago. Seems like the ARRL was pushing that real hard about 20 years ago. It was supposed to take about half the spectrum of a SSB voice signal.
    BTW, what was your rating in the Navy?
    Tom WA4ILH
    ET1 (ret)
    formerly WB2NPO in Elizabeth

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ACSB is still used on the 220 MHz to 222 MHz commercial two-way band.

When I first went with TXU they were installing a high band (150 MHz) ACSB system. However, that did not work out well at all. It was not the technology but the fact that there were only 2 manufacturers making the equipment and neither one was that "healthy" (Aerotron and SEA).

ACSB is legal to use on amateur radio frequencies. But, the technology needed to make a working system is more complex than "normal" SSB. Also, having a "pilot" carrier makes operation a lot simpler. ACSB is more efficient than FM but no where near as efficient as normal SSB.

Glen, K9STH

4. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember about 50 years ago when the articles on reversed-audio DSB came out?

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I notice when I work guys in Australia and stuff I have to stand on my head to hear them. Is this related?:)

6. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

No Steve, all you have to do is simply reverse the polarity of your speaker terminals
    Tom WA4ILH

7. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

How about that, I thought rotating the speaker 180 degrees was the only easy way to straighten out the audio! ;)

8. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

How would acssb reduce used bandwidth?

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't. It just sounds better on stronger signals. Actually uses a little more bandwidth.

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

In the 1970's, there was a lot of promising work done on Suppressed Sideband AM (SSAM). There was a good article in QST by N.G. Attaway, VO1DER, who I believe was a protege of Larsen E. Rapp, WIOU:

http://p1k.arrl.org/pubs_archive/61798

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.