What you buy an HT this cheap??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3KNT, May 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3KNT

VE3KNT Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do those have any FCC certification? Probably not and they are trying to unload them.

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Single units available on Amazon for $27 w/free Prime shipping and elsewhere on eBay for $17 w/free shipping.

They are what they are -- a cheap (in both price and quality) h.t.
    But --taking into consideration how little they cost-- most buyers are satisfied with them.
    Rated 3.9/5 on eHam.net:
    https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10349

;)

4. VE3KNT

VE3KNT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh i'm not talk about the technical side or quality, it the crazy low price that make me thing the list is fake or you get DOA unit.
    In fairness, I used to have one of these and sold it when i dropped of VHF and was toying with the idea of getting one again "just in case"

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

My past experiences with these kinds of listings - yes...I knowingly 'fell' for them twice, but I also knew I was protected by eBay - is that the listing will either be cancelled by eBay, or eBay automatically and immediately refunds your money once you file a claim. I had both situations happen.

6. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhere in the ether, I hear the voice of P.T. Barnum.

K9ASE and WZ7U like this.
  7. VA3VF

Only if you agree to complete the transaction outside of eBay, and use F&F to pay.:D:D:D

K9ASE likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If they are "new," I'd be suspicious. If used (possibly abused,) then the price for two isn't totally outlandish; just a bit low. How much does shipping cost? Are the batteries worn out? Are customs involved, and how much does THAT cost? As they say, "Caviar empty. " Err, I MEAN: "Caveat emptor." Just be careful.

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, the seller is new to eBay ... May 10th ... which, combined with the low price, might be a "red flag".
    But $12 (C $16) isn't much of a risk -- especially since the transaction is covered by eBay's guarantee.

;)

10. VA3VF

No, it's a scam. The listing says new, not used. Usually from a seller with very few feedback, and/or new to eBay.

This is how it works::

1) You make the purchase. Hopefully, for the seller, you forget everything about it. When you remember, if you do, it's past the date eBay will get involved, and refund your money. You lost your money!

2) You did not forget you purchased it, and you are keeping track of deadlines. You contact them, and they politely, and apologetically, promise to re-send the item. You understand that things get lost in transit, and accept the offer.

Weeks later, you contact the seller again, because the item they 're-sent' did not arrive. Coincidently enough, the deadline for eBay to get involved has passed. You won't ever hear from the seller again. You lost your money!

As I said, I knowingly went for it twice, to confirm my 'theory' of how these types of scams work, but I kept a very close eye on deadlines. I did NOT/NOT lose any money on these two transactions. But I did lose $1 (one dollar) on another purchase, by accepting they 're-send' the item.

I don't mind paying for my 'education', as long as I can afford the 'tuition'.:D

My recomendations are:

1) Keep track of dates and deadlines;

2) If the vendor offers to re-send the item, DO NOT ACCEPT THE OFFER!!!!!! Ask for an immediate refund. If they do not reply, or refund you after a couple of days, file a report with eBay Resolution Center.

I hope this is clear enough. Feel free not to follow these recomendations, but please do not come here later 'crying' about your 'misfortune', and looking for 'sympathy'.:rolleyes:

By the way: P.T. Barnum was right!;)

Last edited: May 26, 2019