What would you do?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG0BA, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This.

WA9SVD likes this.
  2. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, newer does not mean better. But, the word Obsolete has the same meaning in every language. Trying to get the FT-847 repaired or trying to repair it yourself may be an exercise in futility if any sort of digital integrated circuit is ever necessary for a repair. Those parts become unobtanium very quickly after a manufacturer ends production of the transceiver. That is the one and probably the only reason not to keep the radio. If he can get $1000.00 for the radio or get an even better trade on a new radio, he should do it.

I tried to get a 15 year old FT 900 repaired and was quickly told "OBSOLETE." If the ft 900 dies, it will be junk.

3. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can get $1000.00 for the transceiver, sell it. Or, if you can get t a good trade-in from a dealer, trade it. The FT 847 is out of production and either is now or soon will be obsolete. You will not be able to buy any IC needed to repair it. Now, while it has value, is the time to let it go.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wow... that must be a Yeasu thing. My Kenwood guy doesn't seem to have a problem getting enough parts to keep my radios in perfect condition.... but then again, the TS-440 still has discrete components. The digital chips are UART compliant / compatible and available at low prices. I don't know about the Yaesu IC chips and boards. They might actually be hard to get.

The thing about digital devices is that if they are going to fail from some defect, they typically do it within the first few months. If they survive the first year, they are probably going to last a long time. That doesn't include damage, of course.

Given the FT-847's good reputation for reliability, and the high quality of the build as opposed to some of the newer radios' failure rates, I'd still keep the older one.... but that's just me.

5. KG0BA

KG0BA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, the only common issue I've heard of with the FT-847s has been the on/off switch wearing out over time...Reliability seems pretty decent, and HF performance seems to be thought of as being a little better than just ok, while VHF/UHF performance is thought of as still being outstanding. But, it is twenty years old. In it's day, I think it was considered pretty superior to almost everything out there in it's price range. I haven't heard wthether Yaesu is any worse than the other major brands with respect to repairs, parts, etc...on obsolete radios. If I keep it, I should probably order an on/off switch, and keep it in my stash.

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you may be being a bit optimistic in thinking the 847 will bring $1,000. It does have value, but lately I've seen them going for $700-800. Better than many rigs of their time, but still. . .

I sold mine about 10 years ago, when the last sunspot cycle was getting hotter. I am a 95% HF CW operator, and although I had the 500 Hz mech filter installed, the receiver just couldn't handle crowded CW bands with lots of strong signals. I also found that I was not using the VHF/UHF capabilities at all, so off it went. I picked up a TS-590 and the rest is history.

I guess it is a lot like having an older car that you really like but is getting out of date. At some time it may fail and the cost to repair it may then exceed its value, so you have nothing toward its replacement. You just have to decide how much risk you want to accept. I also believe that I remember hearing that as of the time the rig went out of production, one of the final transistors (was it HF, VHF or UHF?) was already unavailable for repairs.

KP4SX likes this.
  7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

as a radio lover and ham i would not want to finish life hanging onto money and doing without a rig display like the 7300 has. life is getting shorter and money is no good unless you spend it.
    bury me with a radio and put a antenna on my tombstone !

WB1GCM likes this.
  8. KG0BA

KG0BA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's good to get an idea of what it's worth. I Googled what the dealers are selling them for, or at least the amount they're asking. I have a Ham Fest I'm intending to participate in that the club is sposoring on July 19th, so knowing what it may actually be worth will help me decide what amount to sell it at during the Hamfest, or if I get a reasonable offer. I hadn't heard that about the final transistor being an issue...good to know. If I keep it, maybe I should also order that final transistor, and keep it in my stash along with the on/off switch.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people say “only analog” as though it’s a bad thing. :D It’s not. When you say “digital” I’m reading that as DSP/SDR architecture, not digital modes. I’ve never found a “digital” rig that worked half as well on SSB than my old “only analog” Japan Radio Co. JST-245 transceiver (or my far older 75S-3B, for that matter). But for CW (and I suppose digimodes as well), then yeah, the DSP filtering on a more contemporary rig is going to win hands-down.

If it were me, I’d keep the 847. It’s paid for and is good for sat and weak-signal V/UHF work and probably not too bad as a backup on HF. Maybe look for a used K3 or TS-590S, since the used prices for those are falling. That will give you top-tier HF performance without busting the bank. Or a new IC-7300, if eye candy is important to you.

KK4NSF, VK6APZ and WZ7U like this.
  10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

By this standard no one should ever keep a rig more than a few years. It's worth money now, it might break tomorrow.

AD5HR and KK4NSF like this.