What would you do with an 11m 5/8th verticle?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ7VAB, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ7VAB

KJ7VAB Ham Member QRZ Page

My buddy didn't like it and dropped it off a couple days ago.
    My wife saw it folded up and suggested I put it on the shed, then I extended it all the way clamped to a saw horse and she changed her mind :)

I don't own a CB (maybe I will someday) and 10m isn't interesting enough (idk maybe I'm missing something) to justify a 200 inch long vertical.

Would you disassemble it and make it into a J-Pole or dipole? vertical with ground radials? keep it a 5/8th for 10 or 6?

I know nothing about 5/8ths antennas. Would I need to rework the capacitor to be different?

There's a lot of lightweight telescoping aluminum pipe to play with.

2. KJ7VAB

What would happen if I put an insulator on the top and used it a mast for an inverted v?
    I could fire up the XP machine an play around with mmana-gal I suppose.

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

200 inches is a quarter wavelength on 20 meters.

AK5B, US7IGN, KK4NSF and 2 others like this.
  4. KJ7VAB

I'm running an EFHW for 40 and 20 (and 10)
    think there's any benefit with a vertical?
    I'm only QRP right now.

5. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At one time I used an Imax2000 with great success on 10 and 12m, plus 15 and 17m with a tuner. Match was good on 10 and 12, and very reasonable on 15 and 17. No modification, just used it.

It was a .64 wavelength CB antenna, close enough.

I think it would beat an EFHW on those bands, especially if it has ground plane elements.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would re-cut it for 5/8wl on 12m.

7. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

put it up, and try it out.

8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that with some tweaking of the radias, it should be able to operate 20 meters.

Ed

AK5B and KK4NSF like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That depends entirely how your EFHW is configured! If it is horizontal and less than about 36 feet high, and you want to work DX, then yes, there may be some advantage.

AK5B likes this.
  10. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The title asks what *I* would do with it, and I had a Radio Shack 5/8ths wave about 60' in the air when I was a little kid in the late 70s, and it is associated with some very seriously positive memories of the few wonderful times that my father and I bonded, so I would probably put it up and buy a CB that I would never use, just for the awesome memories.

AK5B, WA4SIX and KJ7VAB like this.