What would you do if power amplifiers were made illegal?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by XZ2A, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Serious question.

In various DXCC entities, there's a 'lowish' limit on the RF output of your station. For me in Myanmar, it was 25 watts. Now in Laos, it's 100 watts. It was 100 watts for me in Thailand. I've never had any issues with these power restrictions.

But what about you? :)

2. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would keep DXing just like now. I have a Kenwood TS-480HX so I would be happy with 200 watts out into my wire.

KK4NSF and KU3X like this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The same thing if going over 70 mph, smoking, using a gun, drinking alcohol, dating, nothing.

WX7P, K4KYV, K8AI and 1 other person like this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All at the same time ? That's like Washington DC beltway traffic.

N1VAU, N2EY, WR2E and 6 others like this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously, for a serious question ... I would do nothing different. I don't have an amplifier and never really felt a need for one.

N6ALT, N2EY, KK4NSF and 2 others like this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nada

7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you obtained a Novice license back in the 60s, like me, you were limited to 75 Watts Input on the low bands. I had no problem complying with that. A good old 6L6 generated plenty of power to make contacts. I don't remember what the VHF limitations were. I only had a Twoer and Sixer that ran 5 watts, so the limit never concerned me.

I never bothered getting an power amplifier. My IC-735 is the newest rig I have and it maxes out at 200 watts. That's plenty for me.

8. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Have been a ham for more than 40 years and never run more than 100 watts into my tribander and dipole up 35 feet.
    Haven't used FT8 and still have DXCC 250+, 5BWAS, Triple Play and a wall full of contest certificates.
    Never felt the need for an amplifier.
    ;)

N8JLM, K3EY, K9ASE and 1 other person like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"What if's" may be of interest to some I prefer to deal with reality.

KH6KK, WD4IGX, K3EY and 7 others like this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What would I do? Probably read and understand the rules that my country put out for my service. If the rules said max power is: whatever? I would heed the limitations.

Now, even though the original question was put on the site to generate discussion, it seems a bit self-righteous. IOW; if I only use X watts why do the rest of you need more? This is a variation on a question that we see a lot on QRZ.

The question is: why doesn't everyone do ham radio like I do?! ...And the answer is some variation on the theme that we all have different circumstances or rules to operate under. If we follow our set of rules what does it matter to anyone else?

Last point: having a cool DX callsign will get you a lot more responses than a garden variety first world callsign. You could have the weakest, most difficult to copy signal in the world, but the DX crowd will still work overtime to get a contact. Conversely, you could be in a first world country with big antennas and big power with an armchair copy to most of the world and still be ignored when you call CQ if there is some juicy DX to work.

Know what I mean?

Purely rhetorical of course... Big power combined with big antennas will always make you a desirable fellow to call, especially if we're to have a real conversation, not just a quick exchange of signal reports.

K6UJ, WD4IGX, N4NYK and 3 others like this.