What would you change about CW protocol?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2RDG, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol. I’m 5 miles from W1AW. No one needs me either. But I do POTA, WWFF, FISTS, and SKCC. Some times I’m the hound, sometimes the fox.

2. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Pileups are infantile. There's nothing lamer than most of the band being empty while a bunch of lids struggle over some not so rare dx. Move up or down and call CQ.

N2OTG, OE3IAK, WA1GXC and 1 other person like this.
  3. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

"W8CW Special Event marking the 82nd anniversary of Cheez-Whiz pasteurized simulated cheese product from Kraft.
    Check us out on QRZ for certificate."

"GB0POTA from Cornwall--Glory to our potatoes! FT-8 @ 3.387, 7040, 14.040, SSB 7.287.000, 14.287.000 MHz
    CW as staffing permits on 18.074"

AI7JM, OE3IAK and KD2RDG like this.
  4. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

That reminds me of a youth prank where we made up some village strawberry festival with the most awkward activities planned and had a whole pile of hectographed flyers ready to distribute. Chickened out last minute though.

KD2RDG and WA1GXC like this.
  5. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? I'd love to see the explanations for what is wrong with each of the above.

M6GYU and OE3IAK like this.
  6. KD2RDG

"HR IS" is a violation because where else is your name, QTH, or rig going to be? So many unnecessary dits.

M6GYU and PU2OZT like this.
  7. WA1GXC

Absolutely, OM and thanks for asking. You're the first person who took the trouble.

SOLID COPY--A verbal 'tic', a nervous stutter that has become popular particularly among newcomers because that is what they keep hearing
    from other newcomers. It imparts no useful information and is not interesting. The internationally-universal procedure is to send the
    letter "R"-conveys precisely the same information.
    NAME HR IS//MY RIG HR IS//anything IS-----superfluous. NAME BILLY....RIG ICOM 7300....IS conveys no information. Many modern
    languages do not even have "IS" in the construction of their spoken language.
    MY QTH IS...Look up the definition of QTH. If unable, place a phone call to the Department of Redundancy Department.
    QTH means "My location is". "MY QTH IS" means MY MY LOCATION IS IS. That's exactly what the guy just sent.
    "RIG 100 WATTS". As opposed to 100 quarts, 100 litres, 100 Newton-Metres? Power is Watts around the world. International SI Unit
    abbreviation for Watt is "W". RIG 100W. No fuss, no muss.
    "IS" Never required, never welcome for reason above.
    PERIOD is and was never used by experienced wire-line telegraphers and radio operators of any radio service. It just isn't. It's the instantly
    recognizable style of an inexperienced newcomer. To break-up thoughts, parts of a a narrative, or just to gather your thoughts, use [BT]
    as many times in a row as you want. Perfectly cool. You'll occasionally hear old-hands use the procedural signal [VE] which technically
    means "UNDERSTOOD" but mist use it as a filler or spacer.
    COMMA is always superfluous. Don't use it/ New guy and gal's stylistic flag. Chicago, Illinois. Do you need to distinguish it from the city
    of Chicago Illinois, Illinois perhaps?
    YOU HAVE SOME QSB ON UR SIG////U HAVE SOME QRM ON U....Look up official international meanings for the "Q-signal".
    You can't HV QSB ON UR SIG . Simply transmit "QSB"...."QRM"
    Along the same lines, the use on Phone of "Q-R-ZED THE FREQUENCY" is perhaps one of the 5 most non-sensical things a ham can utter.

BACK TO U or one of its even more silly variants--superfluous. Just go back to the guy, dammit. He knows it's his turn when you go back to
    him. [AR] . Another verbal tic of newcomers, or old timers who still sound like newcomers. A lot of folks out there won't like that. Sorry. Read "Your
    Novice Accent" published in QST 1n 1956 and reprinted in its entirety recently on QRZ.com by N2EY. You can access by callsign in "search" function.

Recent new-guy feature popping-up on the bands--CQ CQ CQ DE xxxxx xxxx xxxx CQ K. Somebody just made this up. Doesn't exist, not for good style
    or procedure. CQ CQ CQ DE xxx xxxx xxxx K
    Ending a CQ with callsign and no K? You didn't send a "K", that means you haven't finished or you don't want me to proceed. I promise you,
    I won't . It's kinda like dining-out at a restaurant. If things are all screwed-up at the Host Station when you walk in, you can be 100% sure it's only
    gonna get worse as you move further towards the kitchen. "You only get one chance to make a first impression."

We're all human. These are errors, not earth-rending mistakes. They're because someone, like all of us, is still learning. That's good. Read as much as you
    can in older Handbooks and operating guides--there's a lot of useful and enjoyable information to absorb. If an error is made, don't sweat it,
    just try to do a little better next time.

See you on the bands.

M6GYU, PU2OZT, OE3IAK and 1 other person like this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

THE RADIO AMATEURS CODE UPDATE SEPT 10  2021 HORSE.jpg
    BEATING THE DEAD HORSE SIT LOOSELY.jpg

K1LKP SOCIAL SMILING JUNE 2020 WITH CHICKEN SMALL.jpg

NK8I, W5ESE and KD2RDG like this.
  9. KD2RDG

This is some good content. Keep it going!

10. WA1GXC

I inadvertently missed "QSL" which as almost universally now used, equally objectionable on CW and voice.

"QSL" carries with it an explicit weight of acknowledgement and chain-of-custody that is used and appropriate only for formal telegrams, formal message
    traffic--not in protocol used for setting-up or back-and-forth communications. You received the prior transmission in its entirety -- send "R".
    "R" on CW or "ROGER" on voice does not mean yes. It does not mean not no. It doesn't mean you in any way understand anything that was said or
    that you agree. It just means, "Got it all."
    The even more egregious use on voice--QSL absurdly used for OVER, AFFIRMATIVE, or the question from the Planet Tralfamador,
    "Is that a QSL?" I don't know--tell me what QSL is and if you can answer correctly, you get to keep your license. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    M6GYU likes this.