ad: w5yi

What would you change about CW protocol?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2RDG, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've contacted a couple of other hams, both who like me spent time at sea. Neither have heard of G being used for 7, but both have used B for 7. David Ring N1EA stated that the link stating G was used for 7 is incorrect.

W5BIB, W5ESE and WA1GXC like this.
  2. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything 319 and above is workable. I once worked a 219 on 2m, but the 235 km was well worth it for my setup to have in the log.

3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

The RST code in general use by amateurs was devised by W2BS *

(* The Amateur Radio Handbook 2nd edition July 1940 p278) which I have in front of me.

PS I'd like to see it changed to Ø - 5 too for strength.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    KB1CKT and WA1GXC like this.
  4. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems reasonable. No requirement to log anyway. It's amazing how a few negative experiences can stick in the memory like that. Harder to focus on the 99% of qsos that go great.

I think it's funny when someone gives me a 549 and then comes back on the next exchange to upgrade me to 559. Like thanks for the sentiment, but I'm ok.

5. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if you were happy to make the contact at 549, just imagine, you're now 1 more happy.

Maybe the S should be changed to go to 11. Lots of ops would love to have a scale that can go to 11, for when 10 isn't enough and you need to go one more louder.

WB5YUZ, M6GYU and KD2RDG like this.
  6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I would by Executive Order appoint and empower you as Magistrate of the CW Tribunal. Your duty and responsibility is to impose administrative
    sanctions and fines, as follows:

Use, any time, any frequency, any reason of following transmissions [noted in BOLD LETTERS] in Continental Code---

SOLID COPY-- $5
    NAME HR IS >>>>>>>>>
    MY QTH HR IS >>>>>>>>> $10
    MY RIG HR IS >>>>>>>>
    RIG 100 WATTS--$12.50
    IS--$5
    character for PERIOD [.]--$5
    character for COMMA [,]--$5
    SOLID COPY BUT U HV SOME QSB ON U--$25
    U HV SOME QSB ON U--$15
    QSL-- (any utilization whatsoever except for postcard request, formal message traffic or Emergency War Order to nuke Upper Slobovia)--$12.50
    BACK TO U >>>>>>>>>>>>
    BK TO U (( Break to you?))>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ $10
    BX ((aggrevated misdemeanor, forbidden phrase sent sloppy>> $12.50
    CQ CQ CQ DE WD1ABC WD1ABC WD1ABC CQ K--$5
    CQ CQ CQ DE WD1ABC WD1ABC WD1ABC--(I'm still waiting)..............$5

No K = No QSO

Get yourselves a good lawyer. You have that right.

NK8I, OE3IAK, M6GYU and 2 others like this.
  7. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever been on the receiving end of a pileup? Five stations zero beat on my freq, five more off frequency, apparently not listening, tail-ending ... lots of good reasons for fills other than inability to understand the code. I'll ask for fills until I get what I want, and assume the same of others.

8. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

I see this in the POTA group ... some kind of (totally ineffectual) passive/aggressive behavior ("yeah, that'll teach him!") ... childish.

KD2RDG likes this.
  9. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

:D Nice list.
    Needs extra penalty for:

RUNNING 1TT WATTS--$10

("PWR 1TT W" or "RUNNING 100 WATTS" are acceptable, but ^this is not.)

WA1GXC, OE3IAK and PU2OZT like this.
  10. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope! nothing rare about where I live. :)

Wouldn't a pileup destroy readability? I get it, when everyone else stops yammering, it's full copy. Otherwise isn't it just QRN making R drop to zip?

Being serious--I'm not a contester, I only do a couple a year and it's mostly search & pounce at that. [Operate for 30-60 minutes, go away for a couple hours, repeat.]