What would you change about CW protocol?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2RDG, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, contests being a quite weird way of using morse code anyway, let them do whatever they deem funny.

However, compulsory would be some SKCC structure and activities in South America.
    Then provided you are seriously interested and involved in SKCC-SA, meaning «On the Air», you'd be granted the higher Brazilian class privilege.
    @Anatel @Labre
    (them BOTH losers)

Oliver

2. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree on the cut numbers, T for Ø is ok along with N for 9 but the rest...? Thankfully I haven't come across that.

Interesting thought on the RST though. Why 0-5 then 1-9 and 1-9 again? I've wondered about it, but I'm guessing it may have had a reason (what a hundred years ago?). Although I'm guessing it was also designed by committee (had to make everyone happy). I do hear people with tones of less than 9. Bit subjective though on all reports--I'd be fine with 1-5 scale on all, and even that might be a bit overkill.

But let's be real, everyone's 599 (or 559 if QRP), regardless of how many repeats are required.

3. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and why change it if it's proven to work?
    I've come across all kinds of tones in my very, very short career, from chirps to clicks to AC hums. Even inconstant fast fading from moving car QSOs on 2m.
    To be precise, 1-9 isn't a gradation, but a list of discrete tone descriptions, ordered from worst to best.
    No. There's 339s too - R should always be an honest assessment, if it's hard to copy and you can't copy all, R can't be 5!

From experience on air - of course, you'll hear 599 QSB or 599 QRM/QRN ever so often. Does it help learning about your own station and conditions?

WA1GXC likes this.
  4. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is fine, just the way it is

King Derek would ban the whining and excuse making of those too lazy to learn.

[​IMG]

NK8I likes this.
  5. KB1CKT

What is the difference between "7 - near pure tone, trace of ripple modulation" and "8 - near perfect tone, slight trace of modulation"? [As taken from the FSD-220 (3-89) form that is handy on my desk right now.]

I get it, it's supposed to have graduations to which to grade by; but darned if I know how to hear them.

I agree. I try to be realistic on mine, although if it's a contest it may well be faster for all... but for anything else, I try to be realistic.

[I think I gave someone once a 449 and he responded "why bother?" He didn't respond to further attempts, I guess he was offended that I gave less than a 599? needless to say, he ain't in the log.]

Sorry, not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that it's contradictory to have 599 with QSB or QRM/QRN? I tend to agree on that, but if it's full & easy copy, could it be true? If a signal is flutter between S3 and S9 on the S meter (let's ignore the numbers but focus on 30-40dB of flutter, pretend noise floor is S0 on the meter), could it be both full and easy copy but with QSB?

6. OE3IAK

And right you are, don't worry about such conduct. NIL (not in log)!

In review, yes, of course there could be a case of 599 with fading, where you still copy everything and the signal is always 9/9+.
    I made a weak example for what I think is a strong point still.

7. KB1CKT

Yeah, I see your point. You could always have a 59/599 contact and one guy tuning up for a couple seconds could make you miss a critical word, but that should be pretty rare--any amount of repeats should rule out 59/599, unless if it's a long Q and conditions changed.

8. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that really a thing? If someone annoys you, you don't log them?

WA1GXC likes this.
  9. OE3IAK

People in a pile-up who are not called by their callsign, but suddenly rush in with "599 tu op John Doe" etc. surely get a NIL from me.
    I've experienced the opposite, people just moving on calling CQ in the midst of a QSO because they found half-way in they don't like to talk to newbies.

10. KB1CKT

Good question.

I've only done it twice--someone chewed me out for not following procedure, which flabbergasted me. IIRC instead of RST, QTH, name I think I may have thanked for contact and told station info then name then QTH then RST... something completely backwards. No idea why I did that, I wasn't that green but for some reason I got excited and just plain did it wrong. He was a long time op from the 60's (according to his QRZ page) though so... I was totally taken aback and wanted to walk away from the radio. Only way to deal with that one was to do my best to ignore it. Probably the wrong thing to do, immature I know.

The second guy, the guy who didn't like my 449, he didn't respond so he didn't end the contact. Did he acknowledge my contact info? I don't remember now, maybe it was a full and proper contact. Regardless, I didn't write it down, and there are piles of 2m FM contacts that I didn't log either. I don't remember being upset over that one, a bit surprised. Maybe he is in the log? my ability to remember stuff from yesterday is bad enough, let alone stuff from several years ago.