What would you change about CW protocol?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD2RDG, Sep 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

You are elected president for life of CW protocol. What's the first thing you change? (other than making the international language Swedish)

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make it mandatory for everyone to transmit slow enough that I can copy them easily?

Martin (G8FXC)

KD2UHF, N6XJP, KD2RON and 7 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I like it just the way it is for 99%

But "cut numbers" can drive me nuts. "T" for zero and "N" for nine are fine but all the rest that are so very seldom used are frustrating. I'd ban all but those two.

I'd also ban the use of computer "decoders". All those do is create weird uneven conversations - where the other guy's device "loses you" due to noise so he has absolutely zero idea what you're saying, even though the copy is 100% to a "human decoder"

But even all that aside, I like it just the way it is and wish more folks would give Morse and CW and try

Dave
    W7UUU

N6XJP, AI5DD, N2OTG and 7 others like this.
  4. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm forbidding "UR" and "HR". Useless filler that can almost always be inferred from the context. Sorry no more "UR RST 599".

W5ESE, WA1GXC and PU2OZT like this.
  5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Do away with it.

KD2RDG likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

International language should be igpay atinlay.
    upload_2021-9-13_9-20-56.jpeg

KD8WU and KD2RDG like this.
  7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never heard of "T" for zero, but then again havent been on, other than some casual listening, for years. Need to get off my butt and just do it.

Never considered "CW" a protocol, but seems everytime some particular member (unmentioned but happens to live "out west) comments on QSOs "as if" there was some protocol, there seems to be some kind of backlash against his comments :D

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's the full list of "CW Cut Numbers" (shorthand/abbreviations intended to "shorten" the sending of a number):

upload_2021-9-13_10-5-30.png

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2CZU likes this.
  9. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wow that's clear as mud. May explain my confusion while listening at times. I was listening every morning for a 1/2 hr or so to get my copy speed back up to
    something workable and I'd run into qso's and certain things that didn't make sense... this may have been it.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to find a way for people to enjoy it, without all that infernal beeping.

K8HIT, WZ7U, W4CDO and 2 others like this.