What wire antenna 80M and up would you choose?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by CT2FZI, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. CT2FZI

CT2FZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello fellow ham,

If you have almost all the room you need, what all/multi band antenna from 80M band and up in your opinion performs best?

Full Wave Loop 80M
    Windom Antenna
    G5RV
    Doublet
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]W5GI Mystery antenna
    End-Fed
    Other (please say what antenna :) )

Is it possible for you to describe your experience with the antenna you choose?

Thanks in advanced!

Luis, CT2FZI

[/FONT]

2. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Three element wire beam on Europe and forget the multiband thing, I need 4 more countries on 80!
    But I hope to get a doublet up to replace a worn out G5RV in the next week or two.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  3. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My opinion

1. Doublet - half-wave, center-fed with twin-line (open wire or 450-ohm) and tuner: efficient all band operation.

2. Full Wave Loop 80M - also fed with twin-line. Maybe a bit quieter (in terms of S/N) on 80-40; higher angle of radiation on lower bands than doublet, unless doublet is less than 1/4-wave or so above ground. Then there's little or no difference. Nice antenna, if you have the room.

3. Windom Antenna - I assume you mean an off-center fed wire with either coax+choke or twin-line feed. There are MANY different designs. In general, they are not as efficinet on as many bands as are 1) and 2) above, but may be easier to fit into some yards.

4. G5RV - This is an antenna that was designed to provide some gain on 20 meters. It happens to provide a good match to 50 ohms on some other bands. Hence it has gained popularity as an all band antenna. However, it is less efficient than the above designs on bands other than 20 meters. Some of its appeal may also come from the ease of bringing coax versus tuned feeders into a building. However, this advantage can be equaled by using a good CURRENT balun at the entry point(outside wall), and a short length of high quality coax to the tuner.

5. End-Fed - May be as efficient as 1) above in some settings, but also may present problems with feeding at a voltagr point = rf and "tinglies" in the shack.

6. W5GI Mystery antenna - see 4) above

Other (please say what antenna ) -a three- element full spaced yagi at 50 meters would be great!:D

4. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Luis: With all due respect, your question is sort of like asking "How high is UP?". Each of the antennas you listed have different radiation patterns at each band, and some depend more on the type of ground you have them hanging over.

In many respects, the antenna you have and use is the best one.

Oh, and nothing says you can only have one is there?

Personally, I use a lot of resonant dipoles, so I can't give you a lot of specifics.

Really, you have two choices - pick and build one and try it then try others or try modelling software, assuming you know where you really want to talk.

Personally, if I had room and supports, I'd first try an 80 meter loop fed with open wire. There are also some neat designs for wire beams in the antenna books - they start to get really practical in the 20 meters and up range, although an 80 meter wire beam would be pretty sweet if you had the room and supports.

My elmer calls it "The reference antenna" - this is the one you put up and keep up as the basis of comparison to your other attempts. Put up any antenna that meets your needs now, then move on - wire is cheap, try 'em all!

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I had all the room I need, I would not limit myself to just one antenna!

6. CT2FZI

CT2FZI Ham Member QRZ Page

"almost" :D;):rolleyes::eek::cool:

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I've got a bit more than "almost" . . . but not "as much as I'd like".

I have a 1/3 acre suburban lot. In the back yard I have a Butternut HF2V (80, 40, 30, and 15) vertical ground mounted with 40 radials; a modified HyGain AV18VS (used on 20, 17, 12, and 10 meters) vertical with 18 radials, and a coax fed wire dipole for 40/15. And a 2m/70cm ground plane up on a mast. I plan to add an 80 meter dipole. All this in the back yard of a 1/3 acre lot.

IF I had to limit myself to only one antenna, I would keep the Butternet HF2V.

8. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

all antennas are a trade off

most all band antennas
    are anything but great antennas

my advice pick which two bands you
    use the most then go from their

my fave bands are 80 and 40
    almost never get on 20-10

when the sunspot cycle comes around
    will put up a dx antenna for those bands

have only one transmitting antenna

80 meter full wave loop fed with 600 ohm

high leg at 75 ft
    low leg at 25 ft

fed at the middle of the low leg

80 meters out to about 900 miles
    its a wonderful rag chew antenna
    have worked Europe qrp using it
    but its not a great 80 meter dx antenna

40 meters its a good rag chew antenna
    dx it gets out like gang busters
    working DX at 100 watts is easy

30 meters its ok but nothing to crow about

20 its fair rag chew antenna
    but
    any 1/4 wave vertical with a good ground system
    will leave it in the dust

17, 15, 12, 10
    can feed it
    but
    roof mounted trap vertical
    will leave it in the dust

void where prohibited by law
    your results may vary

dit dit Mac

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The all perform "best" depending how you think about it.

Loops are the best antenna's because you will experience low noise levels in your reciever which means you will work more stations that are closer to the noise floor.

G5RV's are the best because they are optimized to function on 20 meters and exhibit gain over a dipole on the 20m band.

Doublets are best because they can operate over a larger range of frequencies than a G5RV.

Carolina Windoms are best because they exhibit desirable points of resonance on several ham bands and don't require the use of any antenna tuner.

1/2 wave dipoles are the best antenna because it's the most efficient antenna design when used on any single band. Dipoles are considered as true balanced antenna's.

End feds are the best antenna because it's a half wave antenna (just like a 1/2 wave dipole) but better because these work over a larger range of operating frequencies and they simplify the feedline issues when compared to a 1/2 wave dipole.

So... Which one of these antennas is the best?

10. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple. An 80 metre halfwave dipole fed with open wire feeder.

G0GQK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.