What weight fishing line?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K7OFG, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4BQT

KK4BQT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 12 pound line because that's what is on my pole along with a 1 1/2 oz egg sinker. Haven't really run into any issues with it other than sometimes I wasn't getting any height. I finally solved this by lining up my shot and then taking two steps toward the tree and away from the fishing pole. This took out slack in the line. Until I figured this out I was tearing my hair out. If there is slack in the line it won't fly very well. And definitely take the weight off the line before retrieving. You don't want to fight that and it will catch in the branches.

2. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to use braided lines like firewire or spiderwire. I change all of my fishing reel yearly or bi-yearly so have lots of stuff left over. I use less braided line fishing but still like it for hanging antennas. For example, 30 pound spider wire is the same diameter as 8 pound monofiliment.

Danny, W0JMP

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a few gnarly trees at the field day park that are easier to go through than over, so the slingshot is great. A 1 pound weight will pretty much fall through just about any foliage with paracord tied to it, so the antenna rope is already in the tree as soon as we launch it. Unlike an air launcher, it is fairly quiet, and unlikely to garner attention from the police.

4. N3PDT

N3PDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a 10oz Arborist sandbag and the light, braided "slick line" they're designed to work with. That's good for around 50-60ft throws with medium weight line. I have a 14oz bag I use when I have to go through denser foliage, but can't get as high with it. I do not have a launcher of any type.

I tried slingshots, rods and reels with varying degrees of success, but the difference between those methods and the arborist's equipment is night and day for ease of getting the line through the tree without hangups. I spend a LOT less time getting line in trees now days. Total outlay was a little less than $50. I've saved that in time and frustration.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to get a line over about a 60ft high branch of a Ecaulyptus tree next door. That worked great but it took many many tries.

First I scored one of those FIshing pole holders U put in the sand or the shore, so U don't hafta hold the pole all afternoon. Put a standard spinning reel in it with the bail open. To the end of the line I attached a 1oz weight. Think the line was 15lb test.

Now I used a sling shot to get the weight over the tree branch. Took many MANY MANY shots but sooner or later, it hit the top branch and the line came down with the weight. Now I would tie on a Rope to the line and reel it in. With a ROPE going over the branch, I could now pull up the Dipole.

Then they cut down all the trees and I was SOL!!! Haven't had a decent 160/80/40 antenna since!

6. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I’d have to check. I think I used 16LB line, and Oval sinker weight with hole through the center.
    I did not use a luncher other than the one I popped into the world with.
    I launched about 30 feet. A 10 meter rig. did not have elements exactly straight.
    But It worked, Until it was accidentally pulled out by someone setting up a jumper.
    Grumble.
    Long story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.