ad: vanity

What weight fishing line?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K7OFG, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7OFG

K7OFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm wondering what weight fishing line to use for hanging my wire antenna in a tree. I found a wrist-rocket type slingshot and a spinning reel at a local swap meet and want to make up an antenna launcher. So, I'm curious what strength line those of you out there use. I'd hate to have the line break half way up in the air.

I've been using some small size polyester line with a six ounce weight which I twirl around quickly letting loose at hopefully the correct time to get over a branch. It's worked (after a few try's) but I'd like to get up higher with more accuracy so will try the sling shot.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Steve.
    K6OFG

2. KE4YOG

KE4YOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As heavy as the reel can handle and still get good distance. When you are going straight to the reel you don't have a rod to help absorb so of the pressure. I deal with sycamore trees here in the yard. I have to use a rod and reel to get it to work and I normally use 15 pound test because sycamores have the amazing ability to get line wrapped and tangled due to the many small limbs.

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 10lb test monofilament and some rather heavy weight to make sure it comes down through the branches. With a steelhead rod and spinning reel, I more lob it over a branch than cast it. I am usually going for about 40 ft up a tree.
    As a result, pulling a small rope or cord back over the branch in your direction using just a reel would be more difficult. I would definitely put the reel on a good fishing rod for that.

Also, when pulling the cord back over the branch, it's weight works against you. Not a big deal at 20ft., but as you go higher the weight will be much more to work with until you get some of it back over the branch on your side.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve,

I use 10 lb. line with the cheapest Zebco closed face reel I could find. I think it was $6. I use 2 oz. or 3 oz. weights. Lighter than 2 and it can be difficult for it to descend. More than 3 and the sling shot does not throw very high. I also use mason line after I have the fishing line over the branch where I want it and I am ready to haul the antenna into place. Get the braided mason line. The synthetic stuff is twisted and does not hold a knot very well. I also use snap swivels on the fishing line and mason line making it easy to put on and take off stuff.

Two important lessons learned. If the line does not go where I want it NEVER pull it back with the weight attached. It will almost immediately wrap around a branch several times on the way back and then the tree owns IT. Murphy's law, 10lb. line and 20lb. branch. Or the weight breaks free of a 5lb. branch and comes back at you at the speed of light!

Mike

5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found that braided line works best and no worries of it breaking or getting a nick in it that breaks. Have to be careful as you can't just snap it if it gets hung up, you need to cut it. If your proficient with an open face reel it makes life a lot easier then using a closed faced reel.

6. K7OFG

K7OFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the feedback. Great suggestion about taking the weight off before winding back if in wrong branch. That probably saved me my first weight. I thought about using a rod with the reel but I was never a good caster and figured I would end up making a mess of it.
    All good advice. Thanks.

Steve

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep a stock of every weight available! If there's no wind, use super light stuff. Any wind at all, and you'll want some heavier line.

Eric

8. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not so bad with just a weight. With a spoon lure that has a treble hook when you're really fishing it sure gets your attention!!

As far as wind is concerned, I won't even try on a windy day.
    Go fishing yes. Cast into a tree, no.

There can be some legal concerns with slingshots from what I understand.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We prefer braided line as the heavier stuff works better on a small reel because it does not try to curl back up to the original shape. We use an arborist's slingshot, which can propel a 1-lb weight higher than you can see it. If you are good at throwing, an arborist's weight and 200' of paracord works pretty well.

10. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I had to google arborist's slingshot to find out what could launch a 1lb. weight with braided line. They come with extensions poles because mere mortal men don't have arms long enough to get the job done. I think an orangutan would come up short. Well maybe not... He would just climb the tree and lay it over the branch. :cool:

Just a little pricey! I think I have $15 maybe $20 with extra line, weights and snap swivels.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.