What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

My first shack consisted of an HTX-212 that was ran off of a 3amp CB power supply in parallel with an old lead acid car battery. I had just turned 18 and was working for Radio Shack, which is how I could afford the radio. I had been licensed for more than a year up to that point and never actually operated any amateur radio outside of KG0ZZ's Kenwood 590 on field day. A beat to hell RCI 2950 joined the fray around a year later, and shortly thereafter, I gave up on radio for about 20 years. Still got both, cannot figure out how to program the tones for 2m or I would use it.

W9RAC likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd, that exact radio was my first "hf" rig. Paired with a 5/8 wave gp, lots of fun pre ham days.

NY4Q likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First shack was in a second story spare bedroom. Antenna was a 300+ ft long wire. It was actually a steel wire installed as a dog tether run. It was quite a structural accomplishment. Installed by prior owner.

Rig was an HW16 with a straight key and a home-brew tuner. All built by me.
    Served me through my novice period in upstate NY.

WZ7U likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This was my girlfriend before we were married. WN4YNC. Musta been 1971 or 72. The original pic is long gone but this was in QST at the time.

Rx was an HQ-145 loaner from a fellow down the street. Xmtr was a T-60. Random wire between two poles out back and my old L-circuit tuner I had at college.
    She did actually make some contacts on her own but never was interested in upgrading. She learned her code mostly as a byproduct of helping me learn mine!
    wn4ync.jpg

K2NCC, W5ESE, K3XR and 7 others like this.
  5. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Got to love those striped bell bottoms, a "sign of the times".

6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1958--new novice. 12 years old. On a small desk in my bedroom .A dipole antenna with feedline out the window to the roof. Heath DX 20 transmitter with 4 crystals :) Heath AR 3 receiver with QF-1 Q multiplier. WWII surplus straight key. Dow T/R relay. Had a lot of fun back then

W5ESE, W9RAC, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  7. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

100_0832.JPG This radio got me into the hobby. Free off CL (along with a ft 530 HT). Needed a bunch of work. great radio.

Note the Japanese station registration sticker and notes from the original Japanese operator/owner. The radio made it way to the U/S by a military ham who bought it 2nd hand while stationed there. He gave me this and another radio, ham study guides.

I posted my need for a clairfier board on Tango FT and a fellow from the U.K sent a board he had for no fee fright or otherwise. This pict. was I believe after I made repairs. I got my tech and general about this time to play with this unit. Could not wait to press the button :) but I did in fact wait.
    100_0827.JPG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    W7UUU, K2NCC, W5ESE and 3 others like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did too! But the saddle oxfords were an anachronism - haha.

W5ESE and K8PG like this.
  9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I dunno, I dig them dogs too!

10. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember that picture! What a cutie!

If memory serves, it was in a Novice Round-up review - but I could be w-a-y off on that.

KP4SX likes this.