ad: Alphaant-1

What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like seeing pictures of "first shacks." I wish I had one of mine.

2. K7FR

K7FR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is that an OA-1 Heathkit O-scope?

3. W4ADS

W4ADS Ham Member QRZ Page

Whose post are your referring? If mine that was almost 60 years ago and I don't remember. I don't think it was a Heathkit., but it would have to have been a VERY early model. And while I can't remember the make/model, I do clearly remember the circumstance. I was 16 and my parents let me and a 17 neighbor ham, Paul Farley-WA4M??, take a Greyhound bus from Sarasota to Orlando and spend the night to go to the Orlando Hamfest. It was held at the hotel at Lake Eola, downtown. We walked from the bus station to the hotel where we had a room. It was at that hamfest that the Davco very small, all solid state, HF receiver and transmitter were introduced. It was a lousy scope but it worked, barely. I had to haul it as carry on back on the bus. Quite and adventure in those days (~'64).

W5ESE likes this.
  4. K7FR

K7FR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The picture on your post (#490). I helped my dad build his OA-1. True it wasn't Tektronix quality but it did work sort of. Possibly and EICO......

5. MW7OFS

MW7OFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Being newly licensed my first shack is an icom ic-706mk2g with a 20m dipole and an endfed vertical . IMG_20210814_190850_626.jpg

W5ESE, N8RKD, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  6. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

DX20 transmitter and ARC5 reciever.

KA2CZU, KP4SX, W5ESE and 2 others like this.
  7. KF0FWM

KF0FWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Collins KWM2 with Collins 312B-5 and a Collins 30L-1 linear.

W5ESE likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a way to start out!

KF0FWM likes this.
  9. VE6MOS

VE6MOS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is my start... I am currently in the process of looking to move it inside for the cold months we have coming.

Sometime down the road i'll be looking for an inline SWR meter as well as an IC-7300. A guy can dream.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Shaun

W7TCT, W5ESE, MW7OFS and 1 other person like this.
  10. KC1HWT

KC1HWT Ham Member QRZ Page

6BA493E1-8EBA-47A9-BD87-F5E68AD5A7FE.jpeg I always dreamed of having an Icom IC-751A as a kid. I saved up to finally buy one of the last ones in 1991, just before it was discontinued. School, graduate school, career sidelined any plans for getting a ham license. Aside from the occasional SWL, the unit was wrapped in its bag and placed into its box for 26 years. Until just a few years ago, I finally got a Technician and General License on the same day after all those years...

When I turned the rig on, it wouldn’t transmit, and the memory battery was drained. I installed a new Piexx board, then sent the radio to MTS - one bad solder joint on the TX Regulator, replaced 3 electrolytics, and a VCO ceramic trimmer upgrade. Voila! The radio is mint, not a scratch.

Even though, I have a Yaesu FT-991A, Icom IC-7000, and just bought an Icom IC-7610, I still love the IC-751A. My appreciation for this rig has never waned - it puts a smile on my face every time I power it up. A phenomenal SSB rig! No hunting through menus for anything - priceless! My new IC-7610 feels like junk with its wobbly knobs and buttons compared to the military-build on the IC-751A.

W7TCT, WZ7U, N8RKD and 2 others like this.