What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I think the vertical (on the left) is I believe a JetStream clone 2m/70cm. The HF vertical leaning out over the balcony is a Chameleon MIL-WHIP with the MIL-WHIP extension and the CHA-Mini. (I had to be careful because the kids below me like to reach out and grab my counterpoise as it hung down)

The MIL-WHIP is still my mobile QRP antenna for my HF usage. I like it quite a bit. Did it work well in the apartment? No. Each building had 100 apartments in it. (20 per floor) Lets just say my noise floor was 9+ on all bands.

The tri-pod holding both antenna's up is an MFJ-1918 I believe.

The 2m antenna worked great. I could easily hit repeaters up to 30 miles away or connect my scanner and listen to local emergency services.

KA2RRK likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Same story here! I moved from a 75' end-fed with homebrew open-frame tuner (can anyone say RF burns?!) to a used 14-AVQ that I mounted on the peak of our garage roof. I ran 3 radials per band (I was a General by then) and was blown away how much better it worked than the wire! I was skilled enough as an operator by then (mid-1976, at 15 years old) that I pulled the HW-7 back out of the closet and actually had my first taste of "working the world on QRP" on 20 meters. Of course, the mid-late 70s we had great sunspots (15 would often stay open all night long) so that of course was a big part of it.

I still have most of that 14-AVQ floating around - it's out in the barn I believe.... I guess I'm something of a pack rat :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W3SY and W4NNF like this.
  3. KV9Y

KV9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was a Tempo-One transceiver, dummy load, some sort of SWR meter, straight key and an inverted L. Also had a Hallicrafters S-38 for SWL. It was 1983. :)

KA2RRK, W9RAC and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tempo One is a pretty awesome rig for what it is!! Last year I completed a "Nostalgic Worked All States" on mine, with a solid mix of CW and SSB.

Dave
    W7UUU

tempo.PNG

WA4BRL, WB4IUY and KV9Y like this.
  5. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

An Adventurer, S-119 (arrgh), and a 40M inverted vee. I labored for some contractors and swept floors in a body shop, managing a used SX-101 by the next spring.
    Mike N3PM

KA2RRK, WN1MB, W9RAC and 2 others like this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

DX-20 with a crystal for 21.150MHz. 15 meter dipole. Borrowed Dow Key T/R switch
    HR-1680 Receiver. J-37 straight key. September 1978.

Zak W1VT

KA2RRK, W9RAC, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  7. KA2BLG

KA2BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Started out about 1975 with a Hammarlund HQ-129X (w/ matching speaker) RX and a rock bound Knight T-60 TX. It was in the corner of my bedroom. I don’t know of any pictures... that’s kinda sad.

KA2RRK, W9RAC, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  8. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

My first shack was in a non-climate-controlled shed behind our house about 50 miles south of Houston, TX. The rig was a Ten-Tec Century 21. The key was the Ten-Tec single lever keyer. Antennas were wire dipoles.

K8PG and W9RAC like this.
  9. W7UUU

Great rig even to this day!! I love my C21 :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N5CM likes this.
  10. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

My first 'radio shack' (~1977) was a Realistic TRC-458. I shimmied up a pine in the front yard at my parent's house and had a Starduster up there at about 60 feet. Later on built a 2 x 6HF5 amp.

My first 'ham shack' came later on (1993). It was a Kenwood TS-140S and I built a 4 x 811A (RCA Tubes) amp and ran that for a number of years.

K8PG and W9RAC like this.