ad: elecraft

What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes we are close. Will email you.

2. N0MIN

N0MIN Ham Member QRZ Page

My first shack. Heathkit HW-100 into an inverted V. Circa 1992. I was working on a Heathkit single bander that was on top of the speaker.

First shack 1990.jpg

W5ESE, KA2CZU and W7UUU like this.
  3. 4G1AOC

4G1AOC Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM 02N with a home brew quarter wave antenna and powersupply .

4. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Drake R-4A, Drake T-4X, home brewed Delta loop at about 30 feet and a MFJ-949EY tuner.

W5ESE, W7UUU and KP4SX like this.
  5. AB4D

AB4D Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unsure what qualifies as a shack. Going back to my first interest in radio, that would be an old AM receiver my parents owned, that I used to copy AM DX and SW, and a Lafayette crystal controlled scanner, about 1975. My first ham station a few decades later consisted of a well used Yaesu FT-101EE, a Heathkit SA-2040 antenna tuner/Heathkit HA-10 amplifier, and a doublet for the antenna.

W5ESE and W7UUU like this.
  6. N6QLH

N6QLH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first Ham station was when I first got licensed in 1987. I was in San Diego. I bought a new Icom 02AT. I still have the 02AT. I bought a used Icom 735. I got it from some one at the TRW swap meet. I really liked the 735. I used it for several years then I sold it to HRO. I also bought a used tri band Yagi for 10 15 and 20 meters. I installed it in the backyard in the House I was living at.
    I was away from Ham radio for a while. Now that I am back on the Air, I enjoy the Hobby now, as much as I ever did.

W5ESE and WZ7U like this.
  7. KE8SKG

KE8SKG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm impressed at your fortuity, at 80 years old I'm having trouble getting back on the air on this anti Ham radio antenna community I live in, I've dug a 14" x 4' hole for a concrete anchor on a 40' flagpole antenna on which I will fly a 6' Tatered Defiant American Flag above a 4' "50k KIA", I'll have them all saluting me as they drive by. Hi Hi

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Cobra 29. So sue me! :p

9. K7FR

K7FR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1966: Heathkit DX40 transmitter w/3 xtals on 40 novice, Hallicrafters SX38 receiver. Antenna was a 475' long wire. Gordy, W7FU took pity on me and loaned me a Heathkit HW101.

All this set up in my bedroom.

W5ESE and KP4SX like this.
  10. W4ADS

W4ADS Ham Member QRZ Page

1963, first as a novice, WN4WXI then as a general class. It took up half my cloths closet. I had a big, bad, homemade, 15m dipole up 12 feet with an arm-strong rotor. The terror of Sarasota county.

HamShack1966.jpg

KT4PH, VK6APZ, N0VFJ and 2 others like this.