What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KO4JRC

KO4JRC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my little setup so far, sofa table with home made hutch, kenwood tm-v71a, laptop, old stereo speaker for external that actually sounds good to me, and my poor little 4 Amp power supply. It was $5 from my Elmer, it works on low power which is fine for now as I'm maybe 5 miles from a repeater and the antenna is a home brew vertical dual band dipole about 20 ft up on a diy mast attached to the house. It's not much but it's a start. The mobile is a yaesu ftm-3100r with a shark magnetic mount.

Attached Files:

N0VFJ, N8RKD, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  2. VA3WI

VA3WI Ham Member QRZ Page

At the age of 13 in the UK it was a 19 set under the bed!!! I cycled 5 miles to a surplus store to pick up the set, the return trip was interesting to say the least. Many things learnt from that set, least of all 750v on the anode of an 807 HURTS!

3. W8EIV

W8EIV Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1948 at six years old I used the call sign 8SPARKY, it was appropriate for my code practice sessions with my 8KT uncle. My uncle Bernhard helped me build my first home brew it was a modified door bell buzzer spark gap transmitter into 100' Zep and an Arland 5 valve broadcast receiver, it worked great from the house to the barn in my code practice session's. My first lagit call was Kn8WKW in 1955 using a surplus military aircraft Arc5 xmtr & BC432 rcvr on CW, when I joined the Navy for 5 years at 17 I became an Avionics tech. but I did volunteer as an MARS operator for 2nd dog watch at 0200 to 0400 5 days a week. My call now is W8EIV, it is expired but will be renewed May 9, presently I am teaching the Detroit Tuskeege CAP Squadron what they will need to get their tickets. Tnx n 73s ob.

4. KN6EZR

KN6EZR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A club borrowed Yeasu 757 and accompanying tuner, speaker wire antenna, home brew 1:1 Balun

KJ5T likes this.
  5. W8EIV

6. W8EIV

Yea, fingers under the chassis used to hurt too! 65 years later everything is 12 or 24 volts but now I keep slamming the fingers in the car door. 1954 was great all the post war surplus, throw out TV sets full of transformer power supplies out in the alley for free picking. Yeathem were the greatest days.