What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnson Viking Adventurer w/xtal for 7120; Realistic DX-160 rcvr; 40m dipole at 15 ft.

WN1MB and KA2CZU like this.
  2. K1KTF

K1KTF Ham Member QRZ Page

As WN1SXH (1974) my first shack was a Drake 2C receiver and Drake 2NT transmitter. I really loved that station operating DX in the middle of great summer sunspot cycles. My biggest regret was selling the pair. Probably one of the dumbest moves I ever made.

Attached Files:

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. W4OKW

W4OKW Ham Member QRZ Page

First shack was in my bedroom as a teenager. Rig was a 6V6 slatboard and a 6SN7 regen, both from ARRL "How To Become a Radio Amateur 1955. Antenna was a 300 ohm twinlead folded dipole. Made a couple of Qs and then "graduated" to a Six Meter Gonset Comm II, a loaner from our local club. WN2 ???, then K1AST, now W4OKW. Around 1957-58, Six was THE band! Solar peak and IGY.

4. NL7P

NL7P Ham Member QRZ Page

5. NL7P

NL7P Ham Member QRZ Page

I lusted for an EICO 723 as an upgrade from my DX 40.

6. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnson Viking Ranger and Mosley CM-1 receiver. Inverted vee for 40/15 meters. What great memories!

upload_2021-3-28_1-59-30.png

WA4BRL, VK6APZ, WA7RAR and 4 others like this.
  8. M0IEQ

M0IEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

lets not take too much notice of the nice paddle , as my CW skills are not at an acceptable level... as much as I try...
    best regards to all, I love the old pictures, I really do,,,
    Hopefully catch some of you on the air one day, I am usually working in Germany and then can only get a portable set up when I walk up the local hills, however, it does sometimes work quite well with a inverted V on 40 meters.

Take care 73

Michael M0IEQ 20200707_162222.jpg

WJ4U and WD4ELG like this.
  9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My licence was a British Class B full licence - no-code VHF/UHF with no particular power restrictions. This was close to fifty years ago, so there was no commercial VHF/UHF gear on the market - we had to build our own. I followed the usual path at the time which was to purchase a surplus PMR rig for a frequency close to 2m, strip it down to parts and rebuild it in a suitable chassis, replace the crystal to get it somewhere around the 2m calling channel and realign it. For the receive side, I used a home-made 2m converter connected to a Trio JR500 HF receiver. The original antenna was probably a dipole made out of wire from a pair of coat hangers - I did replace that fairly soon with a four-over-four yagi.

Martin (G8FXC)

WN1MB and M0IEQ like this.
  10. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Drake TR22C and a Heathkit HW-101