What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First shack setup, 15 years old, 1971, was in the basement of the parents house.

Transmitter: Globe Scout 65A (used, cost me $15 of my corn-detassling money) Bought from older ham about 2 miles from home. Managed to get it home balanced on the handlebars of my bicycle (walking the bike, not riding!). Chirped like crazy and eventually earned me an OO warning. I bought a restored old one off eBay about 8 years ago, and it chirps like crazy, too. Apparently a well known "feature" of that model. Have the parts for the W8JI mod to the oscillator to cure that, but haven't gotten around to it.

Crystals: Two 40 meter and one 80 meter crystal.

Receiver #1: Radio Shack regnerative shortwave kit (x-mas present) - when I first wired it up I guess i reversed hot/neutral . First time I turned it on and touched it I got "hung up" from the AC-hot chassis. Never mentioned it to the parents ... afraid they'd ban me from radios.

Receiver #2: Hammarlund HQ110 (used. I don't remember circumstances of how I got it - it may have come from my Grandfather, who at one time owned a radio repair shop and let me have old radios and TVs to tinker). Never worked very well. About 8 years ago I bought a on old one off eBay to tinker with, but haven't been able to get that one working very well, either. Maybe they never worked well?

Receiver #3: National NC-100 (extremely used, dented, filty, broken knobs, weighed a ton, but free for hauling it out of some old guy's basement. I had to make several repairs, replace tubes and capacitors, dial string, knobs, fix some of the rollers and gears (it had a weird movable RF deck instead of conventional band switching), but eventually got it working. This was my main receiver for most of my novice days and it worked really well. I'd love to find one to tinker with.

Key: WWII era British Key (free - same source as the NC100).

Antenna #1: 40m twin-lead folded dipole stapled up under the eaves of the house.

Antenna #2: Short vertical made of copper pipe, base loading coil from copper tubing (dad was a a plumber).

Tuner: None. Just the output stage of the Globe Scout

SWR/Power indicator: 100 watt light bulb.

No photos. All that lost long time ago.

WW2PT and WN1MB like this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a winner! :D Those are some of the most worn out books I've ever owned. They're all still in the garage at my parents' old house (now my brother's house) in NJ. If I ever make it back up there, those books are coming home with me!

We had the Year Books, too. And the giant two-volume dictionary. I pretty much taught myself how to read thanks to World Book.

WJ4U and WN1MB like this.
  3. K1KTF

K1KTF Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL!! I get that from time to time. What’s even more odd is the Mayor of Austin but he has my full name “Steven Ira Adler”.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Adler_(politician)
    What are the chances of that!? 73 ~ Steve (K1KTF)

WJ4U and WN1MB like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for taking my post in the spirit in which it was posted!

That's a hoot re: the Mayor of Austin. Wonder if Michael Coletti (aka Steven Alder of GnR) knows about him?

K1KTF likes this.