What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2BK

KB2BK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No pictures, sorry. In 1977 I ran a Heathkit DX-60B with a Lafayette HA-350 receiver. The antenna was a random wire. Later on, after upgrading from Novice class I got the HG-10 VFO to match my transmitter. Even after getting my general class, I kept pounding the key.

2. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HW-101, Speaker, Station Monitor & Pan adapter

I bought from a Chief when I was in the Navy for $275

3. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

July 1971 -- equipment borrowed from my school's amateur radio club
    WW2 surplus BC348 receiver (pulled from a B-17 bomber)
    Knight Kit T-50 transmitter from the 1950s
    1971 WA4BRL-0021 copy.jpg

1972_WN4VQY_01.jpg
    Here it is about six months later. I had just finished building the Heathkit DX-60B at roght.

VK6APZ, WC8F, WW2PT and 3 others like this.
  4. ZS6BV

ZS6BV Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was nine years old I found a dusty old National Receiver in a store room on the farm. I never found out how it came to be there, but using encyclopedias and books from the library I fitted an earth to a water pipe and a long wire up the roof gable. ZS6BGX was our neighbour with a Log P and I monitored his QSO's as well as many others from all over the world. It stopped working one day and it went back into the store room and later to the junk pile. Wish I still had it today.

WA4BRL, WJ4U and WN1MB like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Imagine that! Long before the Internet. Whilst present day Extra Class licensees seek help and hand holding here to fabricate simple dipole antennas. </rant>

6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just found these. My first shack was SWL only, but I spent almost as much time listening to the ham bands as I did broadcasters. DX-160, Bearcat III scanner (VHF lo/hi, crystal controlled), and a Patrolman-3 that I listened to 2m ham repeaters.

AB825E0C-6B6A-45A5-941F-01E85110538C.jpeg

WA4BRL, W8YFL, WC8F and 2 others like this.
  7. WN1MB

Is that a set of Encyclopedia Britannica on the shelf above the radios in the center and right hand phots?

WW2PT likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those look like World Book Encyclopedias.

WW2PT and WN1MB like this.
  9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I don't have a picture of it, but it was a Trio JR500 receiver with a home made 2m converter on the front end and a home made 2m AM transmitter built from recycled bits of a Pye PMR rig. The transmitter was initially crystal controlled, but I later built a VFO which was horribly unstable - over the course of a QSO, I could traverse half of 2m!

Martin (G8FXC)

WW2PT likes this.
  10. WN1MB

Thank you for that correction - my fuzzy memory fractionally failed me! heh.

My parents bought the World Book Encyclopedias and subsequent World Book Year Books for me and my sisters. I fondly remember not only using those books for various school projects and such, but also simply for general reading. What a great resource.

WW2PT likes this.