What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I had photos. I started with a Heathkit HW-8 and a full-size 40 meter dipole in an crazy configuration in the attic of my apartment building. I was thrilled when i discovered the scuttle hole in my closet that lead to the attic space.
    QRP CW with an indoor antenna builds character!
    I then transitioned to a Tempo-2020 with a fullsized 10 meter dipole thumbtacked to the wall right above the rig. Those were the days, it was 1989, my Novice ticket gave me phone privilege on 10 and the sunspot cycle was really cooking.

WC8F, WN1MB and W5ESE like this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started in '76 as a Novice with a Heath AR-3 as a listening post. First rig was HW-16.

W5ESE and WN1MB like this.
  3. KD3LT

KD3LT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ameco AC-1 transmitter with National NC-57 receiver. Scored my first OO report with that rig.

KA2CZU, WB5YUZ and KP4SX like this.
  4. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

We started right around the same time; I was WN5RMQ/WB5RMQ in 1976.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

Yes. But I never had a WN5 call! They ended that between the time you got your Novice ticket and I got mine.

Very soon if not immediately after they stopped issuing WN calls, they did, in error, issue a bunch of us WB5X-- calls (I got WB5XRP). They had institutionally forgotten that FCC regulations reserved suffixes that began with "X" for experimental stations. My WB5XRP license arrived in the mail and I wasn't quite ready to go on air yet, so I never used that call. Within a week or so YUZ came in the mail, along with a notice telling me I had been issued the "X" call IN ERROR and that I was NOT to use it, but instead use "YUZ."

After I did get on 40m CW I worked at least one other novice who had also been issued a "WB5X--" call and had it rescinded and replaced with a WB5"Y--".

W5ESE and WN1MB like this.
  6. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that's quite an experience.

I had some WB5Y** friends. I passed the Novice in Dec 1975, got the WN5* license. I think the WB5* license arrived in October 1976 (still a Novice license); upgraded to General in December.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  7. WB5YUZ

So, you actually held a WN call when they were phased out! I guess that must have happened to thousands, but I never thought about it before.

8. K1KTF

K1KTF Ham Member QRZ Page

First licensed in 1974 as WN1SXH operating an awesome Drake 2C and 2NT. Loved my first shack! One of my biggest regrets was selling it.

Attached Files:

WA4BRL and WN1MB like this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you miss your days drumming for Guns and Roses? ;)

10. W0IJJ

W0IJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Baofeng UV-5RA was my first ham next up was a yeasu ft-65r currently my shack consists of mainly a leixen vv-898, an hbr4hfs and a tyt-9800